Wireless Manager

Hello,

Perhaps this is an old topic and I've just not caught it in my searches on this forum. I've finally got a good laptop with a battery life of greater than 10 seconds. I've got everything set up on it (including most power management). When I look for good wireless connection managers, using KDE, the first I obviously find is Kwifimanager. However, when I do 'top', Kwifimanager is consistently near the top in CPU usage. Since I'm using a laptop, I would like to reduce the amount of CPU usage and thereby save my battery. There are other wireless 'displays', in that alll they really do is tell you what network I've used and how strong my signal is. Is there an application that uses lower power but also offers much of the functionality of Kwifimanager?

Thanks,

Jon

• 1 month later...

You can try Wifi Radar. Here's a description:

WiFi Radar is a Python/PyGTK2 utility for managing WiFi profiles. It enables you to scan for available networks and create profiles for your preferred networks. At boot time, running WiFi Radar will automatically scan for an available preferred network and connect to it. You can drag and drop your preferred networks to arrange the profile priority.

I've used this on Vector linux and other slack based distros and it is really nice. Don't know about cpu consumption/power drain from Wifi Radar but I like it better than the Kwifimanager which never seems to work right for me with ndiswrapper. I know there's an rpm for mdv2007 and assume one exists for mdv2007.1.

• 3 months later...
Anybody? Anybody? Something 'o-o' economics.

You only need a WiFi manager to discover networks. You don't need to use a WiFi manager at all, if you use the laptop in two or three fixed locations (etc, home and work). I simply switch from one network to another using a script, which I run from the CLI. It is possible to link such scripts to a hot key, but I never bothered.