IMPORTANT ADVISORY: Bad X.org update

dexter11

Bad X.org update for 2007 Spring (compiz conflict)

An important advisory: an update issued yesterday for X.org - x11-server-1.2.0-9.1mdv2007.1 - unfortunately contains an error. It is incorrectly set to conflict with versions of Compiz older than 0.5.0, and since 2007 Spring contains Compiz 0.3.6, this means that trying to install the update will result in Compiz being removed, and trying to reinstall Compiz after the update is installed will result in the updated X.org package being removed. For now, please refrain from installing the update. We are aware of the problem and our security team is already working to release a fixed update. We apologize for the error.

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Ma...pringBadXUpdate

Oops :o

Hope there's not too many broken installs out there. Although, shouldn't be a too major one with compiz being removed. Just putting compiz back might make it worse.

Me too. :sad:

The only time I did an update in the morning before going to work. (I did think it was odd that some of the same items had updates this morning that I updated last night.) Sigh.........

Edited by RVDowning

Aplogies accepted, just because I do not use their product anymore. Else I would be mad at them.

These things are not supposed to happen even in bleeding edge distros, let alone a "stable", "noob friendly" one...

When they don't announce it you mad at them (and you're right btw). Now that they announce it you'd be mad because they made a mistake. Hey at least we know about it. And at least it saved me the trouble so I'm grateful for this.

My Mandriva-desktop system is now x-less. :sad: But my laptop is still okay. :)

An yes, other distros made bad things, too. Ubuntu crippled X once, fedora crippled kernels twice, suse crippled yast once... so Mandriva is in good company. :D

For anyone who got caught by this, the following should fix it:

urpmi.update -a

urpmi x11-server-common x11-server-xorg compiz

assuming your updates mirror is up to date. If that command asks you any questions or gives you any warnings, cancel :)

The fixed packages are available and versioned 1.2.0-9.2mdv2007.1. The broken packages were versioned 1.2.0-9.1mdv2007.1 . Note the difference: 9.1 = broken, 9.2 = fixed. When updating, ensure you're getting the 9.2 versions. If you are, then you're fine.

There is our great friend Adam here again quick as a flash with help. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I just checked and I found I have the good one. He He He.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

When they don't announce it you mad at them (and you're right btw). Now that they announce it you'd be mad because they made a mistake.

in defense of scarecrow, i think he was not mad at them (as stated in the first sentence). he should have separated the second sentence to make it clear that he is stating an opinion that is entirely different than the first sentence.

and :thumbs: to adamw, even if i dont use the packages affected. :)