Toshiba LPT to XFree86 4.6.0

Guest HillBillyFunk

Guest HillBillyFunk

I recently upgraded the video drivers included in Mandrake 10.0 to XFree86 4.6.0 and it works nicely, except it is running a oddly.

First issue is this: unless I use "interactive startup" my keyboard does not input when the graphical login comes up, the mouse works fine but noway to input login data.

If I run interactive startup then I have keyboard input but I do not get either KDE or IceWM when selected, instead I get a GUI that I have never seen that has a a couple windows with names like xsm and Twm and a terminal.

I am stumped, I miss IceWM I wish I didn't have to push the 'enter' button a whole bunch in start up.

On the issue of I window/destop managers (IceWM,TWM, etc), as a result of the upgrade one or more of startup scripts, such as /etc/X11/Xsession, /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession, etc. have changed. You may need to respore the original /etc/X11/ directory and compare it with the new one, script by script.

Problems with keyboard and mouse could be a result of changed XF86Config. Again, try to resore your original one from the backup.

Guest HillBillyFunk
Problems with keyboard and mouse could be a result of changed XF86Config. Again, try to restore your original one from the backup.

Thanks for a start in the right direction. I finally found the right startup file for xsm (/etc/X11/xsm/system.xsm) and I can store, recall and load sessions now. I need to know what scripts execute before the mandrake logo/login screen comes up.

I still have the keyboard issue (but it works fine if I run 'Interactive startup') and still have to select which environment/session I want to run. I really miss being able to hit the power button, get a cup of coffee and just sit down and log in.