Sound in RealPlayer 8.0 under Mandrake Linux 9.1

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs

Hi again

Sorry for the recent barrage of questions but I'm doing a lot of downloading lately and running into some problems here and there.

I downloaded RealPlayer 8.0 from rpmfind.net and installed it. The video is fine and I am easily able to play movie clips without any problem.

However, I'm getting very little or nothing in the way of sound. There are times when I *think* that maybe I'm hearing something but it's probably just background, ambient noise or just my imagination. Anyway, no sound.

I've noticed this same problem when I've tried it on other verions of Mandrake Linux (dating all the way back to 8.2) and with RH and Debian as well. There are also times when it will play sound when it's first installed but then suddenly cease to function anymore for no obvious reason. I've also noticed that the RealPlayer "RPM" format seems to conflict with the Linux "RPM" package format.

Any suggestion of the sound (and other) issues I've mentioned?. I'd really like to get this thing working but just not sure what I need to be doing or if I'm doing something wrong here.

Thank's guys/gals

Guest greeneggs

I'm not a registered member of the mandrake club and I could'nt get into the user club because it told me that the login was incorrect and there was no place to type in a user name or password

Hey greeneggs

They way to get sound out of RealPlayer is to download the real player from real.com

Make sure you get the *NEW* patched version. The old one ( 8 ) doesn't work with newere kernels, as it was expecting a bugged behaviour from the Kernel.

On the other hand, you can download the patch, precompiled by them. Not extremely recommended but it's your choice.

Please note, I did all these on 9, not 9.1

I beleive texstar has the mdk realplayer rpm on his sight.You might want to give that a try. Uninstall your current realplayer and go to the following website:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

Under No.3 tick the texstar box and follow the instructions for adding texstar to your urpmi sources then run the following:

# urpmi realplayer.

He also has an mdk flashplayer rpm there if your looking for that. Both worked fine for me. You may also want to add the plf source as well. They have a lot of cool stuff(e.g. rpms for win32 codecs and dvd plugins for xine) and urpmi makes it all very easy.

I'm not a registered member of the mandrake club and I could'nt get into the user club because it told me that the login was incorrect and there was no place to type in a user name or password

This link is not mandrake club, its our own site:

ftp://ftp.mandrakeusers.com/pub/Commercial-9.1/

If you want to use the direct link, press shift and click

ftp://ftp.mandrakeusers.com/pub/Commercia...0-5mdk.i586.rpm