Can't run a powerpoint CD in Linux anymore, why?

Pepse

I have a CDrom that has pix and some music that was made in ms powerpoint and I cannot get it to run in OO Impress or any movie player. I used to be able to do this with Mandrake 10.0. Did Mandriva lose some permissions or something like that? Does anybody know of a way to run this in MDV 2007.0?

Pepse.

I used to be able to do this with Mandrake 10.0.
Do you mean you used to be able to run this exact CD with this exact powerpoint presentation, or do you mean you used to generally be able to look at Powerpoint stuff?

It could be that this file was made with a different version of powerpoint, or it could be that it was made using certain special features which OOo can't understand. When you say pix and music, do you mean real picture files (Jpgs, Pngs) and real music files (wavs, mp3s) or Powerpoint files (ppts)?

The CD I have now is different than the CD's that worked in Mandrake 10.0. This was acquired yesterday, 05/23. As for the content of the CD it is from a memorial for a cousin that passed away recently. The maker of the CD put lots of pix and some audio to go with it. I just loaded the CD again and I had MDV "start in a new window". The contents are: 06 Track 6.wma , 15 Track 15.wma , AUTORUN.INF , gdiplus.dll , intldate.dll , play.bat , playlist.txt , pptview.exe , ppvwintl.dll , pvreadme.htm , saext.dll , Troy's Memory.ppt , & unicows.dll . And no, I don't know the breakdown of the other CD's that worked in MDK 10.0. I realize that the wma's won't work, but that is minor. If I can get the rest to work that would be great. Also, when I load the CD all that happens is I get the "Open in a new window" or "Do Nothing'.

Hope this helps.

Later. Pepse.

Hey,

It look's like the CD is meant to autoplay when inserted & as you say it's made for windo$e. Try opening it in a new window then right clicking on the Troy's Memory.ppt file & open using OO. I would copy the whole CD to a temp file, then read the play.bat file using kwrite & have a look at what commands have been issued. Also Mandriva will be able to play wma files (I think you need to set up your repositories using EasUrpmi (top of the page) & include PLF)

HTH

I will try that later today (Friday). I am sorry about the multiple posts but I kept getting an error that said something about tring to repost it in 10 seconds and it just kept giving me that error until I waited about 20 minutes and then it went through.

Pepse.