3D desktop problems after kernel 2.6.17.14 install

Mitchell

Have just installed the latest kernel upgrade, 2.6.17.14, and now my 3d desktop environment is disabled. When I log in almost everything looks the same, but I can no longer move windows, close them wihtout going into the file menu, or use anything else that was part of the 3d features. This is the third time this has happened, the first two I was unsure, but it? clear now that this happens only after installing this latest kernel. What can I do? Reallly don´t want to reinstall EVERYTHING again... have tried uninstalling this upgrade, but no luck... Also, have noticed that there? some bug with the keyboard, whenever I use certain characters, I find I have to press them twice before they come onto the screen. (qoutation marks, apostraphe´s, etc.) Is this related and does anyone know what´s going on here? I also keep getting two messages, ¨urpmi database locked´, and ¨Your window manager does not support the show Desktop Button, or you are not running a Windows manager.¨ I am running Mandriva 2007 Spring One. Prior to installing this kernel, everything has been working great, have really been enjoying using the 3d enviro. Thanks!

You don't say what hardware you're using, but if you currently have a kernel-source-stripped package installed, you may need to install the 2.6.17-14 version of that package also.

Jim

Scratch this. You seem to have two threads going on this subject!

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508

On the boot menu you still should have the option to boot with the previous kernel. Choose that and see if that helps.

Not even slightly, unfortunately... have tried ´Boot Linux Spring´, ´kernel 2.6.17.14´ and kernel 2.6.16.13. The only one that would boot was the last one, and while I have a graphical user interface it took ages to come up, and seems to be just the minimum...i.e., no 3d, can move windows, etc. Any other ideas? I was thinking of just reinstaling this system, and avoiding the latest kernel. I´m also running a 64 bit version of Spring One. I definitely have a processor up to it, but could this be making my system unstable? Also, could the problem be with how Gnome reacts to this kernel? I don know enough about Linux yet to answer these... Thanks for your help.

You don't say what hardware you're using, but if you currently have a kernel-source-stripped package installed, you may need to install the 2.6.17-14 version of that package also.

Jim

Scratch this. You seem to have two threads going on this subject!

Jim

Apologies to having two threads, I new to this and didn understand the etiquette. If possible I like to keep this thread going.

I´m not sure if I have a kernel source-stripped package installed or not. How do I tell? I downloaded and installed via the RPM graphical interface (through Mandriva Control Panel) what was suggested, the latest kernel. This came as a meta package and as the kernel source. I simply installed them, and when I rebooted have been having these problems. Tried uninstalling them, then reinstalling them again, and nothing is working. Is there more likely to be a bug with the kernel, or is this something to do with my system? Also, could this be something to do with running Spring One as a 64 bit version? Thanks for your help.

~Mitchell