Where do I download the Java plugin from?

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs

Hi

I have Mandrake Linux 9.1 but I am wanting to download and install the latest version of Java so that I can chat, view Java applets, play Java games, etc. I need to get this in an RPM format if at all possible.

Anyone know where I should start looking?.

Thank's!:)

You can get it RIGHT HERE buddy!

On top of your browser, clic DOWNLOADS. Two folders will appears in the middle of the browser (Incomming and Pub). Clic the PUB one and clic COMMERCIAL-9.1. You will see j2re-1.3.1_06-1mdk.i586.rpm inthere. This is Java so download it and install it!

urpmi j2re-1.3.1_06-1mdk.i586.rpm

Good luck

EDIT: I changed the 'rpm -ivh' command for 'urpmi' to prevents rpm to complains about dependencies..

MOttS

Guest greeneggs

Hey thank's!

I don't see a link or icon at the top of my browser (Mozilla 1.3) that say's "download" or "downloads" and the one from Sun is in an RPM.BIN format which I've already tried and it's very confusing because they want you to extract a lot of files, read through a bunch of text files and alter command lines, etc.

Sorry to sound so clueless but I am totally lost here people :roll:

Guest greeneggs

Ok, I see what your talking about now MottS. I thought you were talking about a link or icon in the browser toolbar :D

Now I go to that page your talking about and I get a message saying that the login is incorrect....hmmm.

Have you ever access an ftp site before? You have to provide a username and a password. However, this site is anonymous. So anyone giving the following username and password can access it.

Username = anonymous

Pass = Whatever@whatever.com

Try with Konqueror .. !

Good luck

MOtS

If you want, you can download the file from

http://linux.aliboom.com/j2re-1.3.1_06-1mdk.i586.rpm

(you might have to hold down Shift when you click on the link)

In case they're still having problems with their server. It will be slower from my computer because I'm being hit pretty hard on my p2p right now.

OK, well, if you want to try it again, I've throttled the bandwidth available to the people downloading my files via Gtk-Gnutella, so you should have better luck. Up to you though. You might have to change the name in the save-as dialog box, since your browser might associate .rpm with Realplayer files.

Hey .. sorry greeneggs. I didn't want to be rude with you. But I still don't understand why you have problems to access an anonymous server.. :roll:

Ok.. so if you are not able with the qnr server and the link on this site (mandrakeusers.org) then go with the .bin file as suggested by Scoopy. Once the file is downloaded, open up a console and type the following:

chmod +x NameOfFile.rpm.bin

./NameOfFile.rpm.bin

urpmi NameOfFile.rpm

OR

Download it from my server: HERE

That should do the trick..

MOttS

Guest greeneggs

That's ok MottS. I did'nt take it that way at all :wink:

I finally downloaded it from that link, installed it and it works GREAT now!

Thank's for all your help. It is sure appreicated