Mandriva MCN Live mouse & keyboard locked

Guest olddogface2007

Guest olddogface2007

My current test distribution is Sidux Debian-sid Linux siduxbox2 2.6.21.1-slh-smp-7, I wanted to test your LiveCD, it reaches the desktop however

keyboard and mouse fail to play. I hope the following will be helpfull, but at this point I am not sure that anything can be done to make the LiveCD play

on that machine, perhaps though my reporting this to you a future release will. In any event good luck with your developement.

From a lsusb

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp.

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c501 Logitech, Inc. Cordless Mouse Receiver

from a lspci

00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)

00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51G [GeForce 6100] (rev a2)

00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)

00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a2)

00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a2)

00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a2)

00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a2)

00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)

00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev a1)

00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)

00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)

00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration

00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map

00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller

00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control

04:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

from my /etc/X11/xorg.cong

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard0"

Driver "kbd"

Option "CoreKeyboard"

Option "XkbRules" "xorg"

Option "XkbOptions" "altwin:super_win"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "us"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Serial Mouse"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"

Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"

Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"

Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"

Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"

Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "USB Mouse"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "Buttons" "5"

EndSection

[moved from Installing Mandriva to MCNLive -> Live CD/Live USB by tyme]

Thanks for reporting. Looks like the kernel still has some usb issues.

Your xorg.conf is from sidux, I guess? MDV usually only writes one mouse device entry.

We could try to make it work, even with this usb issue, by booting in init 3 and running the MDV config tool.

Anyway, thanks. And greetings to the sidux/debian community. Great distro :-)

--chris

Guest olddogface2007

Anna if there was more that I could do to assist in anyway I would be glad to try, I am really fairly new to linux and am

not skilled in doing a compile if that is what MDV config tool does, I would need more information to be of help.

I do have 10 gig HD's that I routinely swap into that computer to run tests so it would not be a problem to install

I will try booting to init 3 with the live, what is the command to start the MDV config tool? MDV ?

Anna if there was more that I could do to assist in anyway I would be glad to try, I am really fairly new to linux and am

not skilled in doing a compile if that is what MDV config tool does, I would need more information to be of help.

I do have 10 gig HD's that I routinely swap into that computer to run tests so it would not be a problem to install

I will try booting to init 3 with the live, what is the command to start the MDV config tool? MDV ?

No need to recompile or even install things.

Start the live cd , at the very first boot screen, hit <tab>, and add the following to the so-called append-line:

init 3

Now start with enter. It will boot non-graphical. At the login prompt type: root, password is root

Type: keyboarddrake

You'll get a menu where you can choose a keyboard. I can't say what you need to choose.

Next type: mousedrake

Here you can select a mouse.

When you are done, type: exit

And login: guest

(password is guest)

To start KDE you would type: startx

Also, if you still can't use keyboard nor mouse, in init 3 you can start: mc (Midnight Commander), the filemanger and editor to have a look at the generated /etcX11//xorg.conf

Thanks.

Edited by anna

Guest olddogface2007

I was able to login using init 3 and my keyboard was detected and able to go through the keyboard and mouse selections

ok, however when I startx the mouse did not work but the keyboard did, finally I rebooted this time I decided that I need to try the safe mode, when I did it booted to the desktop and both mouse and keyboard are working.

Now, I did get a error on my first attempt info liblow.c (320) /dev/gpmctl no such file/directory

When I burned the CD i was carefull to use DAO and have it verify the written cd, that passed and of course I checked the md5sum after I downloaded.

I am seeing 2.6.17-13mdv on a i686 in /etc/issue

Now i have used locate (after updating it with updatedb) and it cannot find "liblow" is this the missing piece? I have made a cp of xorg.conf (for future reference)

olddogface,

thank you for trying - and the solution.

You can safely ignore the error message about liblow.c (320) /dev/gpmctl - you don't need it.

It is not a bad burn I am almost sure.

Using the safeboot option: seems that your hardware (the keyboard/mouse) needed one of the kernel boot parameter that we are providing in the boot menu.

Thanks again!

Guest olddogface2007

I am so happy, I found the problem, I added "noapic" to the first menu selection, that was the missing and needed for my system to have mouse and keyboard to work.

Thank you for your support and help, I am glad that I finally figured this out now I can do some of the fun stuff with the LIVECD.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.