Documentation on Your System (Literally)

Counterspy

Mandrakesoft has provided us with a much greater selection of How-To's in version 9.1 than we have had previously in the Documentation section of the Main Menu. Also, we still have the Quick Start Guide, the Starter Guide and the Command Line Manual for v. 9.1. The latter three are available in html and pdf formats and supercede the corresponding documents in our ftp area. The book "Rute" is also available from the Documentation Section making access to it much easier. This is as good or better than any available commercial offering and if you want to print it out, you'll only pay for paper and ink. This effort from Mandrakesoft deserves a look from all and a reference to this rich source before questions are posted here.

Counterspy

who cares? :evil:

I got tired of telling some users here and in the old boards about the benefits of reading the documentation mandrake already had in the CDs (sag, howtos, ...)... and that was for mdk 8.0 and 8.1, ... it was like talking to the desert :cry:

sorry for the rant

who cares?  :evil: 

I got tired of telling some users here and in the old boards about the benefits of reading the documentation mandrake already had in the CDs (sag, howtos, ...)... and that was for mdk 8.0 and 8.1, ... it was like talking to the desert  :cry:

sorry for the rant

There's people like you and me who seldom ask questions, If i need help I will search all docs on this site, if i can't find an answer, i look elsewhere.

Maybe some Docs are written in such a way, that their difficult to understand?

Anyway, thers's nothing like getting a personal answer from someone who has come across the problem and solved it.

• 2 weeks later...

I care. I just installed 9.1 and am looking for documentation on how to administer my system. Lnag [Linux newbie admin guide] is great but I will probably be able to learn a lot from other documents too. The one especially written for 9.1 is of course interesting for me, the cluesless Linux-newbie [who is actually managing quite wel with ML despite lack of previous experience or knowledge of unix].

Anyways, thanks for providing these.

Darkelve

Mandrakesoft has provided us with a much greater selection of How-To's in version 9.1 than we have had previously in the Documentation section of the Main Menu.  Also, we still have the Quick Start Guide, the Starter Guide and the Command Line Manual for v. 9.1.  The latter three are available in html and pdf formats and supercede the corresponding documents in our ftp area.  The book "Rute" is also available from the Documentation Section making access to it much easier.  This is as good or better than any available commercial offering and if you want to print it out, you'll only pay for paper and ink.  This effort from Mandrakesoft deserves a look from all and a reference to this rich source before questions are posted here.

Counterspy

It looks that online 9.1 docs available to club members only, is that right? I'd like to read docs before making decision whether 9.1 is worthwhile to upgrade to or not... Does anybody know, will Mandrakesoft post 9.1 docs on their site?

I think it helps to tell people about where to find info in the same place where you explain the first things they need to know.

I will definitely put a clear mention on my website about this info, in the section about looking for info/help/troubleshooting.

I already have man:/ in konqueror all over the place on my site, I believe it helps when people are actually told which friendly manual is actually meant when people tell them to rtfm...

About the 9.1 documentation, isn't it released under some form of GPL?

In which case it could be put on this site somewhere, or if the site admins think Mdk wouldn't like it, I could put it on my site..?

Don't know how much work that would be though, I have too little time as it is...