Back ups and new hd [solved]

mystified

My HD is almost six years old. I have no problems with it but I don't want it to fail so I want to buy another HD and backup regularly. My question is how do I do this? Also, I'm looking at this hd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148142 but I don't understand the SATA part. It's been ages since I bought a new HD!

Thanks!

You may be interested in this post I just wrote:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=315575

As for SATA hds, I don't know. All I can tell is that I recently bougt a SATA DVD writer and it just works :) Device is /dev/sr0, I don't know if that is SATA1 or SATA2.

Anyway, your motherboard has to support SATA. There are adapters between MOLEX 4-pin power-supply, and SATA 4-pin power-supply, but I highly doubt there is any such adaptor for the data bus part...

Yves.

Well I found this external hd which is not SATA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136022

But I still don't know how to backup. And I have no idea what I'll do with 250GBs. My current drive is only 80GBs and I have plenty of room left. I'm still not sure how to backup data. Is it just a matter of partitioning the new hd and then cp -R each partition onto the new one?

I recently bought an external USB hard drive (see the threads under 'hardware'). And yes, it can be just a simple matter of partitioning it and using cp (or cp -prv). Or you can use rsync which is way more efficient. Once you've mounted the drive then it's just another directory.

I also installed Debian onto it, just for giggles :)

I've currently got 2 x 160GB HDD's in my machine. I use rsync to copy from the first had disk to the second hard disk. This is quicker than when I was using software raid previously, but not as automatic. Before, I just set it and forgot it, and it worked, albeit booting slower than without software raid. With rsync, I'm currently running it manually. Scheduling it regularly isn't too easy, because you never know how much data you want to sync with the second disk, and it may overrun the schedule, and then you find two rsync's running at the same time!

Sorry about waking up this sleeping thread, but I just saw it.

I don't bother with full backups any more on my desktop system. I suppose if you are running a server full backups are important, but with my desktop it is overkill. I want to make sure that I don't lose *my* files, but I am not so concerned about system files. If I fry a disk, I might want to just do an OS upgrade anyway and go from there. So I just wrote a bash script that reads a list of files/directories from a file I call ".backupfiles" and copies them to an external USB drive using cp -dRu. The "u" switch copies a file only if it is newer than what is on the external drive.

I can do a "complete" backup of everything I want to preserve in about 10 minutes.

I used to try doing full backups, and I spent hours at it with very little payback.

Just another option to look into.

Linux rocks! :D

Banjo

(_)=='=~

I want to make sure that if something happens with my harddrive I can use the new one, change the mount points and be able to boot directly into it. It's taken me way too much time getting everything set up on gentoo. I have a fully working, apache, mysql, php server and a DNS server. I really don't want to go through all that again!

Have a look at rsnapshot if you want quick backups with minimal space consumption whilst presenting the backups as full (uses hard links if file was unchanged). You define what you want to back and can define a (long) list of includes/excludes to handle exceptions. I let rsnapshot run each day -- adds maybe 10-20 Mb per day. Once a week or so this gets transported to an USB harddisk (should the PC stop or so). Dirvish is another type of software for similar purposes (no experience)