trouble after kernel upgrade

Chiara

hi everybody!

I installed mandriva 2007.1 free one month ago on my laptop and succesfully configured my ati x1300 graphic card, with 3d and everything.

yesterday I let the system update and now the x-server it won't work. I have 2 more options on my grub menu (mandriva, windows and mandriva safe mode as always, now there are also linux with kernel 2.6.17-13 and linux with kernel 2.6.17-14). none of the options will work: the screen appears totally corrupted.

I tried configuring the graphic card from safe mode but I got only error messages:

cannot install ati-kernel-2.6.17-13mdv

(ee) problem parsing the config file

(ee) error parsing the config file

afte doing aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf (as I did after the first intallation to get the 3D working) i got

(ee) cannot open /dev/fb0: no such file or directory

(ee) no devices detected

could anyone please help?

thanks!

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I already installed kernel source (whole!) far my new kernel (2.6.17-14)

then urpme dkms-ati (because it was compiled for the -13 kernel), urpmi dkms-ati.

then aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

then, tryng to configure with mcc, I got errors (cannot open /dev/fb0:no such file or directory; no device detected).

and everything is still the same!

then urpme dkms-ati (because it was compiled for the -13 kernel), urpmi dkms-ati.

you didnt need to remove dkms first it would just have compiled a new kernel module and put it a directory for the new kernel, this explains why the driver doesnt work with the old kernel anymore either....

I have an nvidia card not ati, so dont know to much about the peculiarities of ati but did you run XFdrake already? You should at least be able to select the non proprietary driver and get an X going....

you didnt need to remove dkms first it would just have compiled a new kernel module and put it a directory for the new kernel, this explains why the driver doesnt work with the old kernel anymore either....

I have an nvidia card not ati, so dont know to much about the peculiarities of ati but did you run XFdrake already? You should at least be able to select the non proprietary driver and get an X going....

at the fist boot after upgrade I did have the non-proprietary driver, at least I think so, it was the dirver for ati x1300-somethingelse family, which I also used when I first installed mandriva, before installing dkms-ati. (is this the non-proprietary driver?I think so because it was in the free mandriva isntallation dvd, but if not, which one should I choose?)

in this situation I tried both the new and old kernel, but it was always not working.

as this did not work I uninstalled and reinstalled dkms ati with the new kernel source... I know it's stupid, but I didn't know how to simply compile the drivers! just don't know the commands!

the dkms-ati one is the propietary one...

anyway try

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup (or use a livecd or other distro you might have installed or urpmi mc and use mc....)

and run XFdrake again choosing the non proprietary driver at least you will get X back......

the dkms-ati one is the propietary one...

anyway try

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup (or use a livecd or other distro you might have installed or urpmi mc and use mc....)

and run XFdrake again choosing the non proprietary driver at least you will get X back......

i tried this and then ran aticonfig, but it say it cannot fine the configuration file, please copy a configuration file into X11...

I tried changing drivers, the best result I got was a good trial page, but no good x starting...

thanks!

Yeah, I´m having trouble with this kernel upgrade as well. Have just installed the latest kernel upgrade, 2.6.17.14, and now my 3d desktop environment is disabled. When I log in almost everything looks the same, but I can no longer move windows, close them wihtout going into the file menu, or use anything else that was part of the 3d features. This is the third time this has happened, the first two I was unsure, but it? clear now that this happens only after installing this latest kernel. What can I do? Reallly don´t want to reinstall EVERYTHING again... have tried uninstalling this upgrade, but no luck... Also, have noticed that there? some bug with the keyboard, whenever I use certain characters, I find I have to press them twice before they come onto the screen. (qoutation marks, apostraphe´s, etc.) Is this related and does anyone know what´s going on here? I also keep getting two messages, ¨urpmi database locked´, and ¨Your window manager does not support the show Desktop Button, or you are not running a Windows manager.¨ I am running Mandriva 2007 Spring One. Prior to installing this kernel, everything has been working great, have really been enjoying using the 3d enviro. Thanks!

Yeah, I´m having trouble with this kernel upgrade as well. Have just installed the latest kernel upgrade, 2.6.17.14, and now my 3d desktop environment is disabled. When I log in almost everything looks the same, but I can no longer move windows, close them wihtout going into the file menu, or use anything else that was part of the 3d features. This is the third time this has happened, the first two I was unsure, but it? clear now that this happens only after installing this latest kernel. What can I do? Reallly don´t want to reinstall EVERYTHING again... have tried uninstalling this upgrade, but no luck... Also, have noticed that there? some bug with the keyboard, whenever I use certain characters, I find I have to press them twice before they come onto the screen. (qoutation marks, apostraphe´s, etc.) Is this related and does anyone know what´s going on here? I also keep getting two messages, ¨urpmi database locked´, and ¨Your window manager does not support the show Desktop Button, or you are not running a Windows manager.¨ I am running Mandriva 2007 Spring One. Prior to installing this kernel, everything has been working great, have really been enjoying using the 3d enviro. Thanks!

I am guessing you are also not seeing any window borders? If so then you need to add this to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf under the device section and restart:

Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

@chiara, I have no idea if the test screen works you should be able to get an X running :wall:

@chiara, I have no idea if the test screen works you should be able to get an X running :wall:

if the test screen should be a sort of rainbow background with a small window asking 'is this the correct setting? yes/no' then it was ok!

I have no idea, I think I'll try re-installing... is there any special reccomendation to avoid troubles? I had a 200.1 free, what if I install the one now (because of the proprietary ati drivers)?

thanks!

Under linux, you rarely have to reinstall, stick around till someone has a solution and you'll know how to fix this problems if (when) it happens again. Anyways for starterd for others can you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log or at least the relevant bits with errors (EE) and warnings (WW)

I concur.

Reinstalling is almost always a mistake in Linux, because a. it does not usually cure anything, and 2. it does not let you drop the typical windows mentality.

You should only reinstall only in cases of a major fookup, e.g broken glibc or perl (the latter is not so critical for other distros, but for Mandriva it is, because MCC goes tits up).

I concur.

Reinstalling is almost always a mistake in Linux, because a. it does not usually cure anything, and 2. it does not let you drop the typical windows mentality.

You should only reinstall only in cases of a major fookup, e.g broken glibc or perl (the latter is not so critical for other distros, but for Mandriva it is, because MCC goes tits up).

what do you mean by 'it does not cure anything?' ? if you mean that the problem will show up again at the next update (if the update was the trouble), well, you are surely right... but I need my pc, I cannot stay with a non working OS for weeks.. I'd end up using windows again...so I'll think I'll reinstall, and then keep looking for some answers for the old problem.. so that when it'll show up again I'll be better prepared! or maybe I'll be so well prepared that it won't show up at all ;)

surely I'll be very careful about updating a kernel, next time!

thank you for your help, anyway!

what do you mean by 'it does not cure anything?' ? if you mean that the problem will show up again at the next update (if the update was the trouble), well, you are surely right... but I need my pc, I cannot stay with a non working OS for weeks.. I'd end up using windows again...so I'll think I'll reinstall, and then keep looking for some answers for the old problem.. so that when it'll show up again I'll be better prepared! or maybe I'll be so well prepared that it won't show up at all ;)

surely I'll be very careful about updating a kernel, next time!

thank you for your help, anyway!

I think kernel upgrades are a bit messy.

What u can do is install 2.6.17-13mdv kernel again not with the drakrpm thing....in console.

Perhaps the more easy way is to open a console as root and type:

urpmi --no-install kernel-2.6.17.13mdv

and wait for the kernel to be downloaded to /var/cache/urpmi/rpms

if the above fails you need to download the kernel manually from a mirror ftp like:

ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions...2007.1.i586.rpm

Then u can install(not upgrade) the old kernel with:

rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.17.13mdv-1-1mdv2007.1.i586.rpm

you now can reboot and boot from the old kernel a.k.a 2.6.17.13mdv

If u can boot the old kernel u should check if you can have X working then uninstall the new a.k.a 2.6.17.14mdv

rpm -e kernel-2.6.17.14mdv

Now u are going to install again the 2.6.17.14mdv but with this command:

Manually download the kernel from:

ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions...2007.1.i586.rpm

and install it with the following command:

rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.17.14mdv-1-1mdv2007.1.i586.rpm

then reboot and check if u can boot from the newlly installed kernel and check if you have Xserver working,if so u can then remove the old one.

Good luck.

Under linux, you rarely have to reinstall, stick around till someone has a solution and you'll know how to fix this problems if (when) it happens again. Anyways for starterd for others can you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log or at least the relevant bits with errors (EE) and warnings (WW)

Thanks for that! I did end up reinstalling, but mainly for different reasons. I was running x64, and I realized how difficult that would become for me as a newbie to linuk. SO now I running a 32 bit system, and haven had the same problem. Kernel upgrade went fine, and apart from minor bugs the system seems to be working fine. All the best!