Distro Comparison: PCLinux OS and Mandriva

Ixthusdan

I have used Mandriva since 7.0 I remember when Texstar was active here, and I used his kde rpm's all the way until he began to develop PCLinux OS. I am saying all of this to set the stage for my latest geek experience.

My old windows hard drive failed recently. Not having any money to replacxe it, I took my 160G drive that was full of various Linux distros and erased it for windows and Mandriva. Both Windows and Mandriva installed fine, but Mandriva would not launch. I reinstalled several times with various switches and could not get Mandriva to launch upon reboot. Interestingly, neiher would SuSE or Kubuntu launch. PCLinux worked. I can't explain it. At any rate, I have a release candidate, so now I am going to upgrade it to the new release.

Certainly sounds a strange one. But it's not uncommon for some distros to work, and some distros to not. A lot can depend on what kernel is there for the install. Mandriva 2007.0/1 is using a 2.6.17.x kernel. Ubuntu 7.04 uses a 2.6.20.x kernel whereas the 6.10 uses 2.6.17.x like Mandriva.

Even more curious. The last release candidate of PCLinux works, but the final does not! I usually have 2 hard drives to work with, but I cannot logically understand what the difference is. I have tested the chipset and processor with bench tests, but no errors are happening. It feels like a hardware issue to me. I guess I just need a new computer! :lol: After all, if it will just run windows, what good is it?

Even more curious. The last release candidate of PCLinux works, but the final does not! I usually have 2 hard drives to work with, but I cannot logically understand what the difference is. I have tested the chipset and processor with bench tests, but no errors are happening. It feels like a hardware issue to me. I guess I just need a new computer! :lol: After all, if it will just run windows, what good is it?

betcha it's a kernel issue.

could you post the exact error? you know the drill.. :)

James

The bios comment made sense to me. Remember, this system had been running several operating systems without a problem. So, I flashed the bios. Now, it works like before. Something must have corrupted the bios enough to give Linux a problem. Now i am thinking about replacing my power supply. Oh, well, thanks for the brain-storming.

Anything with a 2.6.17 kernel or higher on one of my machines at home, and it no longer shuts down properly with acpi. It shuts down, but then it reboots, so I have to power off manually. It does everything correctly, except power off. You get the click as if it's powering off, but it resets instead.

Which is a shame, because I'd have liked it to power off fine. The two latest BIOS release for my machine don't work. They stop the built-in sound card working, and the machine runs slower because of the upgraded BIOS (no idea why), although it does shut down fine. A case of phased out hardware for me.

Anything with a 2.6.17 kernel or higher on one of my machines at home, and it no longer shuts down properly with acpi. It shuts down, but then it reboots, so I have to power off manually. It does everything correctly, except power off. You get the click as if it's powering off, but it resets instead.

man, that's a whole year that's been broken. Give 2.6.21 a shot, and if it doesn't work, just file a bug at bugzilla.kernel.org and they'll get it sorted out.

James

I did file a bug once at kernel.org for my soundcard problem not working other than through headphones, but nothing got done about it. I can try and register a bug for this acpi problem, but unsure of if it'll get any look in. I'm pretty sure that something acpi related changed in the kernel, and thus rendered my acpi useless.

I'm currently on Ubuntu with a 2.60.20 kernel, and still with the same symptoms, so I'll try the bug logging approach and see if something gets done about it.