Blender executable

Guest Sim

Just a question really

If I download blender from www.blender.org, blender will not execute, however it does in mandriva and PCLOS, is there any way I could get it launch as I much prefare MCNLive then the others but I really need the most recent blender cheers

Best solution - use the version from the Mandriva repositories. It's been compiled and tested for Mandriva, and should almost definitely work. One simple command "urpmi blender" and it's done. Is there really so much difference between 2.43 (in Mandriva 2007.1) and 2.44 (from blender.org) that you need the very latest??

Next best solution - try to use the binaries from blender.org. I've never tried this, never needed to, but as long as you make sure to select the correct binary for your system, it should work. What's your system, and which binary did you try? And do you get an error message?

Last case solution - if nothing else works, you can try to compile the source code from blender.org. I've never tried this either, but it might get hairy depending on how much other stuff it needs to compile.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Is there really so much difference between 2.43 (in Mandriva 2007.1) and 2.44 (from blender.org) that you need the very

There is if you happen to have a 64bit PC . . .

Then there's the new modifiers, new scripts, Subsurface scattering, etc, etc, etc, . . . . . . . oh, and of course, all the bug fixes.

I always find that with things like this (and most things I guess), the latest and greatest is always the best way to go. I always just grab the latest from the Blender site, it's just a matter of extracting the archive, making a shortcut, clicking the shortcut, and away you go. When the next version comes out, just delete the contents of your Blender folder, and extract the new one there, and keep on truckin'.

[Edit]

Oh, and for the original poster, if you just extract the archive you downloaded from the Blender site keeping the directory structure, then make a shortcut pointing to the file, blender, which is inside the folder you just extracted, you should be able to just double click the resulting shortcut and Blender will launch. Add, -w, to the end of the command in the shortcut to have it run in windowed mode.

Edited by jagwah

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.