KVM does not like Grub a lot

arctic

Hello everyone. Maybe someone of you knows how to fix this problem:

I bought a new, linux certified KVM switch (the old one died) in order to connect my two desktop systems (Mandriva 2007.1 and StartCom). It works fine, except for three minor things:

1. I cannot select anything in the grub-menu with the attached keyboard (usb with PS/2 adapter) when grub appears, but I can use the keyboard immediately afterwards (=when the system boots up),

2. I cannot select anything from the menus when I insert a CD/DVD in order to install a new distro, be it Mandriva or something else. (I have to unplug the KVM switch for this and it is a little bit annoying)

3. In Gnome (have not tested other DEs), the system is unable to store securely the keyboard shortcuts of the multimedia keys. I have to set them up again after a reboot. Nothing serious but irritating.

Does anyone have an idea if these problems can be bypassed (e.g. by adding some unknown parameterto menu.lst)?

KVM Model: Digitus DC OC-12U

http://www.digitus.info/scripts/digdetail.asp?artnr=DC+OC12U

After some research I came to the conclusion that the problem is probably caused by the BIOS, having trouble to handle a usb-keyboard connected to a PS/2 switch, connected by a converter to a USB port on the pc. It seems to irritate the system at the grub stage somehow. I don't know of a fix though and the BIOS has no extra options for handling usb devices (at least I haven't found one yet).

Is this a KVM with power, or are you using without power? I've had problems with KVM's in the past, and systems not recognising the keyboard/mouse when the thing wasn't connected to power. I was using adderview KVM's with Compaq/HP servers at my last place of work before I moved to Poland.

The ones that were plugged into a power supply, worked perfectly fine. The ones that weren't, intermittently had problems with getting the keyboard/mouse to work.

After some research I came to the conclusion that the problem is probably caused by the BIOS, having trouble to handle a usb-keyboard connected to a PS/2 switch, connected by a converter to a USB port on the pc. It seems to irritate the system at the grub stage somehow. I don't know of a fix though and the BIOS has no extra options for handling usb devices (at least I haven't found one yet).

see if it has an option for "legacy usb" or 'usb hid' as this tends to enable USB at boot time. If you can't find such an option, it sounds simply like your system BIOS does not support USB hid devices, or has very limited support. Unless your vendor has released a bios update, there's bugger all you can do short of upgrading the mobo, or the kvm.

James

Ian, it is drawing its power through a usb-connection sadly. I checked for legacy usb-support and usb-hid but nada. The as-rock mobo seems to be very limited in its options, indeed. This is not dramatic, only a bit of an annoyance but as I do not switch kernels often, I can live with the current situation.