PCLinuxOS 2007 Final Released

dexter11

How many packages do you really need? I know, 5,001 for the one that is missing. I really like the new 2007 PCLinux, but I also really like Spring. I see the family resemblence in the two. But really, it's on it's own now. I mean should we still say that Mandriva is Red Hat based (which it is)?

Also, I know I'm dreaming but just think about how good of distro they could come up with if some the one man teams joined forces. Yeah I know, this one only does rpms and that one does debs, he only works with source files.

How many packages do you really need? I know, 5,001 for the one that is missing.

I think you delibarely twisting the issue here. It's not how many packages you want but if the package you need. Sure all the "commen" package are available.

• 1 month later...

I use PCLinuxOS 2007 along with Mandriva 2007 Spring and I think it's really nice. It's VERY newbie friendly too - Installing prop. graphics drivers is somewhat easier than in Mandriva.

A few comments to some of the issues mentioned in this thread:

- Most any package I have needed is available and "Synaptic" works like a charm. Like always.

- I have installed Mandriva RPM's in PClinuxOS and I've had no problems.

- It's very much KDE centric, then again IMO that's just a big plus.

- The comparisons too Mandriva are obvious, but not as slick looking yet.

- Installing prop. drivers was easier in PCLinuxOS.

- Works great out of the box.

Mandy is still my favorite. Especially because of the very complete and professional design. The overall consistent look. PCLinuxOS is still somewhat behind Mandriva in this area, IMO.

PCLinuxOS is definitely a keeper, for me.

BTW I read a guide for using "Synaptic" with Mandriva 2007.0 somewhere. Has anyone here tried this?

BTW I read a guide for using "Synaptic" with Mandriva 2007.0 somewhere. Has anyone here tried this?

I while ago, unfortunately it didnt support synthesis lists only full hdlists, which made updating a bit of a pain having to download those 100MB hdlists but maybe synthesis lists have been added...

I while ago, unfortunately it didnt support synthesis lists only full hdlists, which made updating a bit of a pain having to download those 100MB hdlists but maybe synthesis lists have been added...

I don't think so. It seems it has to be the full hdlist.

But it works. I can use Synaptic now with Mandriva. Can't get the non-free updates (not plf) working yet though. All the others work great.

I often use the hdlists with RPMdrake anyway. Doing the first apt-get update takes awhile (just like adding full hdlist sources to rpmdrake) but afterwards Synaptic seems to be working quite nice.

I'm merely testing alternatives to rpmdrake, since using it has been quite buggy for some time. I'm also trying out smart and I have also considered the old rpmdrake, although I have never used it before.

Regards

opvask

Edited by opvask