Delft on HD updated remaster broke

gola10

I installed Delft on hard disk, customerize it and remaster. Burn the iso to CD and installed to Hard disk again from remastered CD without problem.

Now Applied to this HD installation all updates available up to now for Mandriva 2007.1 and remaster again. This remastered CD will stop while booting "Kernel Panic"

Installed to hard disk from first rematered CD (the one that boots) and applied all the updated but Xinitrc-2.4.19-zmdv2007.1.noarch and new kernel. Remastered and the CD boots OK.

Now installed Xinitrc-2.4.19-zmdv2007.1.noarch and remaster. The result is a CD that do not finish booting. Kernell panic.

Up to now, i will say that Xinitrc-2.4.19-zmdv2007.1.noarch is the cause of the problem. If original xinitrc-2.4.18-3mdv2007.1 is keept, there is no problem.

Has it happend to somebody else?

By the way. Great job done with MCN livecd scripts.

Correction

I was wrong, Xinitrc is not the cause of the problem but other rpm on the updates.

Edited by gola10

What is the content of the updated Xinitrc-2.4.19-zmdv2007.1 ? Which files?

Some init scripts need some slight modifications to work with mklivecd. If they are replaced by an update, the remaster is broken.

I disabled the 'update' source intentionally !

Thanks, gola!

Looks like the package initscripts (not only xinitrc) has an update. This will break a remaster for sure.

I can't blacklist packages in urpmi.cfg, because people use MCNLive also as an normal installed system on their HD.

Looks like the package initscripts (not only xinitrc) has an update. This will break a remaster for sure.

I can't blacklist packages in urpmi.cfg, because people use MCNLive also as an normal installed system on their HD.

Seems to me that the initscripts that has been updated do not harm the remaster proccess since i applied all the updates but xinitrc and has been able to remaster the HD installation and boot from this CD.

I has just started to use MCN livecd as a standard HD installation because of the advantage of beeing able to remaster it. This is a way to backup the installations and try it as CD or DVD livecd to be sure it will work when you need it. I has tried some backup scripts but none is as easy as this livecd.

Is there a list of files that has been modified to make MCN livecd remaster proccess work? or maybe a list of packages that each user should blacklist if he does not want to loose the remaster proccess?

There are only very few system config files which were changed to be able to work with mklivecd.

* rc.sysinit and halt and /etc/sysconfig/init (all from the initscript package)

* an addition to the syslinux package

* and of course the mklivecd package (from contrib), never ever install this broken package from the mdv repos

All other settings are pure customization (KDE, GUI etc. ) that should not harm the basic functionality

I can't see anything in the xinitrc package that could break it, it does not contain anything that would cause a 'Kernel panic', xinitrc are responsible for the X startup -- unless MDV made significant changes in this package.

Installing a different or an updated kernel of course can cause everything.

Adding **any** other sources than /main or /contrib can have the effect of breaking stuff. /main and /contrib are the only sources that are static and not updated!

If someone adds for example 'testing' it will sooner or later hose the system.

Edited by anna

I will try to experiment more tonight with xinitrc and other updates on the HD installation and let you know what happends.

According to what you just explained, updating seems more dangerous that what i thought. But it is good to know the details you just wrote about the files you modify.

Thanks.

OK.

I installer delft on a virtual disk via vmplayer from the delft ISO. Evething was fine. i did not install any update this time.

Then i rebooted delft but this time in "safe mode", changed to root and typed mklivecd --verbose remaster.iso.

Then there was a Broken Pipe and a Segmentation Fault.

Creating initrd: [ 92.13% 00:00:04/00:00:04]ta r: ./etc/udev/rules.d/61-block_config.rules: time stamp 2007-05-22 21:42:53 is 4 331.883016 s in the future

tar: ./etc/udev: time stamp 2007-05-22 21:42:52 is 4330.874663 s in the future

[ 95.51% 00:00:07/00:00:07]

-d //tmp || mkdir //tmp ; /isolinuxmv -f /tmp/[ 95.51% 00:00:07/00:00:07]sh : line 1: 3424 Broken pipe /bin/zcat //tmp/initrd.gz 2>/dev/null

3425 Segmentation fault | /bin/cpio -t >&/dev/null

bootsplash not found in //tmp/initrd.gz

[100.00% 00:00:19/00:00:20]

running: chkconfig --add harddrake with root /

What does it means? Is it normal?

Anyway i can boot from this ISO.

now i will apply some updates a post when it breaks.

I has an HD installation made from your livecd of mandriva 2007 not 2007.1 with all the updates applied and other software installed and remaster it. It produced a booting iso od 1.4GB. I burned it on a DVD and installed this remastered iso in other computers without any problem.

This is what i was looking for.

Edited by gola10

gola,

what you see is a non-critical error while trying to build the bootsplash. It will build a good iso with a working bootsplash.

It is mentioned in the release notes. No worry.

And it is not related to the problem with the updated packages. You'll see the same (silly) error without any updates.

--chris

I has been installing updates (a few at the time) to the Delft HD installation and remastering it. Just found that when installed update for "mille-xterm-busybox????" and remastered, there was a message (while remastering) indicating that "could not stat busybox" and the iso hang with a "Kernel panic" message while booting.

Then i found that busybox was not installed so i installed it with MCC and run a remastering again and the error message did not show this time and the iso booted perfectly.

I has deleted in this HD installation the "last Kernel" software so while updateing it does not try to update kernel. If a newer kernel is needed, it will be added. This way i can run under any newer kernel and when remastering i will boot from the original one.

Up to now the only package i has not installed is the kernel and initscripts.

Now come remastering#6. I will let you know what happend when i finally install initscripts.

Thanks

It is the darn "mille-xterm-busybox" package. Where does it come from? It will break the build system.

We need the default installed busybox package.

It must be a packager fault. mille-xterm-busybox should NOT override the normal busybox rpm.

Please do not run any --auto-update or --auto-select.

--chris, curious about what comes next :D

Edited by anna

It is the darn "mille-xterm-busybox" package. Where does it come from? It will break the build system.
I have as updates sources Main updates and Contrib updates.
We need the default installed busybox package.
That is why i had to install it back with MCC.

I was courious why with a HD installation of your 2007 livecd i was able to apply all updates without any problem and with Delft i had Kernel Panic.

Now i think we know the cause and also know what to update and what not to update.

It must be a packager fault. mille-xterm-busybox should NOT override the normal busybox rpm.

Please do not run any --auto-update or --auto-select.

I agree with this conclusion.

This livecd is a great solution for my needs. I have to build a few computers with the same software installed (clone) and back them up regularly. You have provide me with both solutions on this live cd.

1. Build one computer, make a livecd of it and install on others even if the hardware is different.

2. Backup by making a remastering of each computer regularly.

3. In case of disaster, easely restore the backup.

4. Updates, apply update to one computer remaster and install the new iso. If there is not a problem, you know you can safely apply the updates to all computers. But i would recomment doing a remaster of each first. Just in case.

Thanks for this great software.

P.D. I was wrong when i posted that Xinitrc was the cause of the problem.

Edited by gola10

--chris, curious about what comes next :D

The last thing i had to do was to update initscripts. I has done it and this update did not affect the remastering of the HD installation. This iso also install ok in a HD. But it might affect other features of this Livecd.

In conclusion, all update where applied except kernel and Busybox had to installed back because mille-xterm-busybox had erase it.

So as you said, "Please do not run any --auto-update or --auto-select" is proven true.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.