external modem help, please [solved]

Guest sam

A real Linux nube ... please give me some hints. I've been doing some reading, learned DOS years ago, know M$ Windows since 3.1.

And I'd really rather not have dial-up, but I have no choice financially.

I have an external modem, DFM-560X, Trendnet which Windows registers as an Agere OCM /serial Modem, com1, IRQ4, not shared.

I have 3 DVDs Debian 4.0r0, and Mandriva Spring.

How do I get the driver needed so that either Debian or Mandirva will recognize my modem?

I think I know it needs to see the /dev/ttySx (dial in) where x one less than the com port, but the modem is not being 'seen' at all.

Searched the web and found winmodem information for a different internal card and used a conexant driver in Mandriva using rpm -1 hsfmodem-7.60.00.94full_5mdv-1mdv.i686.rpm. This driver costs about $20 if you want a speed over 28.8.

So I thought I'd get an external one that could be used for more than one distro...ha.

Now I think I've bought a useless modem 'cause I can't find a way to make it work in anything but windows.

Was hoping that somewhere on the DVDs or on the net is a cache of drivers I'm not schooled enough to look for...

Then again, maybe I need to manually 'mount' the thing? Something like /dev/cua0 (dial out)?

Any hints?

samantha

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I've never used a serial modem with Debian (however it would be the same as Mandriva except for the gui), but with Mandriva (or Debian) you do not need any special drivers.

For Mandriva, simply power up the modem first, then boot up your system, open your Mandriva Control Center > Network and internet > set up a new network interface > modem connection > manual, and select either:

/dev/ttyS0

if that doesn't work, select

/dev/ttyS1

for your Com1, unless you have another serial device attached.

Ahhh, would it be so easy.

If I use the choice to go with the manual set up, and go through every one of the ttySx choices, it doesn't see the modem.

If I choose the choice with the modem automatically detected, the choice of provider precludes the provider I have and cannot be reset, it will ring and refuse name and password. :wall:

Just a thought, does anyone know how to reset this choice through the terminal?

A real Linux nube ... please give me some hints. I've been doing some reading, learned DOS years ago, know M$ Windows since 3.1.

And I'd really rather not have dial-up, but I have no choice financially.

I have an external modem, DFM-560X, Trendnet which Windows registers as an Agere OCM /serial Modem, com1, IRQ4, not shared.

---cut---

samantha

Hi samantha, first are you sure you can not afford broadband? If you have cable internet available in you area you might want to see if they offer cable lite. That's what I have at home. I'm on Bright House - Road Runner Lite. It offers 128K up and about 500K down. The upload speed is just fast enough to support VOIP. I use SunRocket VOIP to replace my over taxed POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) If you consider the cost of the POTS line and dialup together and then compare the cost of cable lite and VOIP together the cable lite comes in just below the cost I was paying for dialup.

Yes you read that correct! I now pay LESS for broad band then dialup! I also get free long distance to the USA and Canada.

Then to add to the deal I can receive calls while online (could not do this with dialup) I do have to cancel any large uploads to give the VOIP all the bandwidth but it really don't mind as it does not happen too often.

If you do not have cable internet available you should be able to configure the external modem to work well under Linux. I believe all external serial modems are what is known as hardware modems. If it is a USB modem then you may have trouble.

I have a like new Supra Max external serial modem that worked great under Linux. It was as fast as they come on the speed tests that I ran. If you want it I can sell it to you for half price. I could run it through ebay if you would like and give you first dibs on it. Just drop me a note.

Hope this helps, DC

Thanks for the info. I have investigated cable - Comcast is what we have here, at $40 a month with taxes, plus my phone bill which is $9.70 a month. So I pay $12 a month for dial-up. Quest is even more.

So, back to basics...how do I reach in and force the choice to my provider?

Interesting you should mention that. :wall:

If I auto detect, nothing is detected. I did that, tried the whole list of ttySx choices, and couldn't get anywhere.

The other choice forces the provider list which doesn't list mine, but does correctly detect the modem and rings - but my username is, of course, wrong.

My question is, can I add my provider to that list?

I can wrap a winmodem driver and get it to work, but at 28.8 unless I pay $20 for the 'full featured' driver, and like I said, I want to use this external serial port modem.

With a little direction, I'm sure I could figure this one out! :thumbs:

Somebody who used Mandriva before there was DSL must know something, yes?

Success at last.

I removed the PCI winmodem, and kppp picked the external modem up right away.

Thanks for everyone's contributions.

Next problem - I can't hear any sound yet. But I will, just give me time! :D