MSI Motherboard Compatibility [Solved]

Pepse

I am thinking of puchasing an MSI mobo SKT 775 with a Celeron D 3.3 Ghz CPU and 512 Megs of Ram. The motherboard compatibility page does not list this board (P4M800 AKA PM8PM-V), but according to the MSI website it appears none of their boards are Linux compatible. Should I take a gamble that this board will work with MDV 2007.0, or try for something else?

Later. Pepse.

I don't think anyone but you can answer that. Do you feel confident that if it doesn't work, that you can compile a custom kernel and modules to make it work (this is not an easy task with Mandriva)? If you don't feel that you can... then I would suggest you try for something else that is compatible.

I have not searched for Linux support for this mb, so I'm relying on your info for my statement. :)

Mobos are pretty much a mater of taste. Personally I will never, ever touch an MSI mobo again, after having to suffer for quite some time the vices of two faulty "right-from-the-box" MSI mainboards.

The only brand I never, ever didn't have the slightest problem is Asus, and I will stick to their products for the foreseeable future.

MSI, isn't my preference either, but it is the only board the computer shop has that is within my budget. I am looking for a skt 478 or skt 775 mobo that still has an AGP slot and 2 PCI slots, and the MSI is all they have on hand that fit my needs. I would prefer an Asus board or Gigabyte board; altho I never had an Asus board it seems to be what people recommend. As for the computer place I do get a 7 day return, and moneyback or replacement. Or maybe I will see about an Asus or Gigabyte off of Ebay.

Pepse.

I recently acquired an Asrock P4i65G mainboard, which replaced the faulty MSI 865PE Neo2-P I mentioned. Socket 478, 2xSATA, 2xATA, onboard LAN/sound/VGA, so far working great- initially with XP pro and now with Deian Etch. Should be considered a bargain at $65.

And surely enough it's not the only reliable "low budget" mobo vendor out there.

Edited by scarecrow