laptop install issues

Guest meez

Guest meez

Hi there all

Have decided to venture into the world of linux as I now have a spare computer that I can play about with.

I have to admit that was pleasantly surprised how fast and easy Mandriva 2007 spring was to install, however I have a couple of problems and one question.

Question first, how can I tell if 3D hardware acceleration is turned on, i have a nvidia go6100 graphics setup in the laptop and it found the card and setup the screen resolution ok though do not know if working under software or hardware acceleration

that may be the easy bit, my other issues are no sound and no wireless capability. I can see both devices in the hardware manager correctly labelled

sound card is nvidia mcp51 Hd sound system

wireless is a realtek r8185 chipset internal card.

I have tried allsorts of things for the sound but no joy and I did manage to get the wireless setup bit in the configuration screen to go blue when the cursor moved over it but that has stopped since the system updated itself.

any advice would be appreciated though please aim at a total noobs level

have to admit I am well impressed so far though easy urpmi was a shock.

thanks in advance

For the 3D, open a console window and type:

glxinfo | grep direct

if it reports yes to direct rendering, then 3D is enabled. If the program fails to run, you need to install mesa-demos, or maybe mesa-tools or mesa-utils, depending on what the package is called.

As for the sound, please post what soundcard you have, or if unsure, please post the output from this command here, so we can see:

lspci