Mandriva 2007 Spring disappointing

Srikar

Yes, this is definitely more helpful... but unfortunately I cannot give an equally helpful solution, other than this soundcard is properly supported from alsa version 2.0.14RC3 onwards (latest devel version is 2.0.14RC4). With previous versions there was wrong input recognition which was killing the main channel output (or at least that is what I have been informed from Gentoo forums- I do not own, or have ever toyed, with that particular soundcard).

It seems like a relatively hard nut to crack, but compiling alsa 2.0.14 RC3/4 from source is neither very simple, nor a monstrous task. I guess you can make it with a little care. We will be glad to help you doing it. It seems that you already tried to compile and load 10.14RC3 and failed, but it might be just an alsamixer issue.

Yes,upgrading to ALSA 1.0.14rc3 failed last time and my sound got screwed up completely. But, I have a question which is might sound silly,but plz excuse my ignorance. The ALSA driver version in Mandriva Spring is 1.0.12 while all the other utils are 1.0.14rc2. Won't it help if I just upgrade the driver to 1.0.14rc2 and leave all the other utils untouched. The last time I tried upgrading to 1.0.14rc3, it was the utils or the ALSA lib compilation that failed.

I know ALSA 1.0.14rc2 works fine on my Sound Card earlier as I was able to compile that on Suse 10.2. It's just not happening on Mandriva.

You could try building all newer (1.0.14 RC4) ALSA elements from Cooker. You can use the Cooker source RPM's ( say from here) and

rpm --rebuild alsa*.src.rpm

It's a tad easier than building from tarballs.

Using the baked Cooker RPM's may cause problems... I'd rather avoid it.

All that may sound troublesome, but it was much worse some eigtheen months ago or so, when none of the Intel based HDA onboard soundchips was working properly...

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks for the suggestion. I would try this and update you with the results. FYI, I tried installing only the 1.0.14rc2 driver, it installed succesfully,but mu sound got screwed up agian and when i get an error "Unable to open /dev/dsp (Not found message)". When I type alsamixer in the console, it gives some error like "Device not found".

Regarding the Beryl-Wireless issue, got to the root of the problem. There were 2 problems, one being the DNS module of my wireless router was failing. Pointed the wireless interface to hit the Open Source DNS servers and that issue got resolved. Seconding, whenver 3D desktop was enabled with Native support(AIGLX i think) and Beryl combo,it was causing problems with loading the ndiswrapper. I changed the 3D desktop to Xgl-Beryl combo and now the wireless is working pretty fine and looks to be stable. Im pretty sure that there is some interference of AIGLX with the functionality of ndiswrapper with Broadcom 43xx cards on Mandriva Spring. This is not an isolated problem and it occured everytime 3D desktop was swiched on.Did anyone else face the same problem ?

Edited by Srikar