3d, nvidia, update

Guest Teri

Guest Teri

Hi,

I just installed Mandrivia yesterday and loved that it found my wireless card. I have an Acer Aspire 1710. It was going fine, I could use 3d, which I loved, and then I updated something and it's gone and when I go to the graphic interface it says my system doesn't support 3d. I went online, found some advice to change the kernel and tried that. I actually know less than nothing about doing that, so I'm sure I messed things up even worse. I tried to reinstall, but now I can't do even that. It boots up, I tell it to install, and then there's a big DOS style blue screen with an OK in the middle and nothing more will happen. I can't remember the rest of the error but could duplicate it no problem.If anyone decides to help me, please post instructions in simple form because, as I said, I just started using LInux and Mandriva.

Without the exact error message we can't really help.

Updating the kernel is not enough you have to update the kernel-source too. Or kernel-source-stripped. This way if you are using dkms-nvidia recompiling the nvidia kernel module will be automatic.

Anyway when you log in on the command line type

startx

that should start KDE or your default graphic desktop. If not post the last lines of the error message it produces, here. You can find some additional info about x server errors in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. The lines beginning with (WW) are warnings and the lines beginning with (EE) are errors. Post them here.

Edit

Maybe this topic is relate somehow: http://forum.club.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=66134

Edited by dexter11