Hard Drives being detected as SCSI/sda/sdb etc

Just been trying out UbuntuStudio 7.04 and Ubuntu 7.04 on my other PC, and they are calling my hard drives SCSI, sda, sdb etc.

They are just normal IDE hard drives, always detected as such in Mandriva, and shown as hda, hdb etc.

Is this OK?

Edited by jagwah

Yes, it is.

Since kernel 2.6.19 IDE hardddrives use libata to initialize, and they do appear as /dev/sd*

It may be slighlty annoying at the very start, but after a while one does get used to it.

Of course you can *still* have some /dev/hdx device nodes for them, writing a couple of custom udev rules- but I'd rather consider it an oddity.

Edited by scarecrow

Yes, it is.

Since kernel 2.6.19 IDE hardddrives use libata to initialize, and they do appear as /dev/sd*

It may be slighlty annoying at the very start, but after a while one does get used to it.

Of course you can *still* have some /dev/hdx device nodes for them, writing a couple of custom udev rules- but I'd rather consider it an oddity.

I'm using 2.6.20.11 (albeit in real debian) and the ATAPI IDE drives (including CD/DVD) are still generated as hda, hdb etc. I think this is only SATA drives??

I'm using 2.6.20.11 (albeit in real debian) and the ATAPI IDE drives (including CD/DVD) are still generated as hda, hdb etc. I think this is only SATA drives??

No.

In 2.6.19, libATA was merged. libATA is the new way of handling *all* drives, sata and IDE.

They did not remove the old ide/ layer. So chances are you're still using that, and whatever distro you have, still uses ide as a default, rather than libATA, which supercedes it.

James