Zboard keys not repeating

Hello all,

Im not sure if any of you remember me - its been a very long time. Im currently returning back to Linux - namely Kubuntu.

So far I love it. Linux has come a long way for sure. With Kubuntu everything "just works" (lol kinda).

Now my issue. I play WoW via wine on my Merc Zboard.

http://www.zboard.jp/

At first I used xmodmap:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Zboard

and it seemed all worked at first. For sure every key does indicate when I press it down. The red movement keys (w,a,s,d,x) will show up when I press. The only problem is only the "w" key repeats. So I can only move forward in WoW. Well I can turn but I need to press the turn key about 500x. Other mapped keys repeat but the a,s,d,x do not.

What I have found is that this seems to be an ubuntu problem. I installed Mepis and PcLinuxOS and both worked fine - as did Gentoo (another user). I used to know my way around Linux but Im a bit rusty - so go easy please.

Here is what I have tried:

Installed Mepis and copied the entire (working) xorg config to the Kubuntu partition and booted = nogo

I have tried to force repeating:

xset r 128 = nogo

I have tried numerous xorg.conf setting to no avail.

I was wondering if any of you had any clues on how to solve this? I have also posted on the ubuntu forums to try and find help.

Thanks

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Ive tried a custom kernel and also tried a Mepis kernel - nogo.

Also for sake of trying I copied my /etc/X11 from Mepis over to Kubuntu and booted - still nogo.

Anyone have any other things I could try? dont care if I break it or not.

Im using the apt repo version.

It doesnt matter anyway. I was reaching. You see the repeating keys doesnt work at anytime - in kwrite / console - nothing. It does work with the other Distro's Ive tried everwhere. So it cant be a wine issue.

• 11 months later...

Im bumping this thread to put some sort of closure to it. In case of a google or MUB search.

I have tried with many different Distros to get the extra gaming keys to work. In some distros the keys would not repeat and others some would work - some would not.

I thought it was a Xorg issue but now I don't think so.

I just reinstalled PClinuxOS and before I did an update I tried the merc keyboard via the xmod mapping in my first post. Every key worked wonderfully. All keys repeated and worked the way I had always wanted. Then I did an update to my system. The system updated the original 2.6.18 kernel to a newer 2.6.24 kernel. On boot some of the keys no longer worked. Thankfully the update didn't remove the old 2.6.18 kernel so I rebooted via that. All keys again worked great.

My conclusion is the kernel was the source of the problem and solution.

I have tried to roll a vanilla 2.6.25 kernel with the old 2.6.18 config (just changing the proc type) and it did not work. Oh well Ill stick with the old 2.6.18 kernel for as long as I can.

To my poor knowledge, this is an issue with xorg 1.3.0+, and it's causing trouble to other applications as well, not only wine (e.g. VMWare). Keyboard mapping somehow gets messed and won't restore until you run xkbmap --whatever settings you wish. With dirstos which are using xorg older than 1.3.0 you shouldn't have issues.

The fix? Ummm, nothing concrete/permanent, unless i'm missing something.

Actually this is the reason I abandoned VMWare and switched to Virtualbox (which BTW is working properly), although objectively speaking vbox is a poorer performer than vmware.

I installed 3 different kernels (with sources) on my PClinux bos.

2.6.18 - all keys work

2.6.22.4 - all keys work

2.6.24 - keys no workie

Custom kernel:

Vanilla 2.6.25 - keys no work

Thats would brought me to a kernel issue.

...Then I did an update to my system. The system updated the original 2.6.18 kernel to a newer 2.6.24 kernel...

Slightly off topic, but what repos do you use for PCLos updates? I was never asked to update the kernel, so i'm still using the old 2.6.18 .

I add in the KDE4 and the testing repos to my sources file and do a full upgrade. I have like 4 kernels in synaptic to choose from. When I did the update the 2.6.24 was installed.

What repos did you add? Can you give me some links?

• 2 months later...