Unable to access Network in VMachine [solved]

Network not working in Virtual machine.

I'm currently using Mandriva LInux 2007 Spring with kernel-2.6.17.14mdv-1-1mdv2007.1 and VirtualBox-1.3.8_mdv2007.1-1.

I setup Windows XP SP1 in a Virtual Machine with the following Network configuration:

[x] Enable Network Adapter (plug it into the corresponding slot)

Attached to MAC Address

NAT 080027ABC472

[x] Cabel Connected

The network cannot connect to the internet when inside the virtual machine.

Obviously, I can connect to the internet in Linux with no problems. I have a SMC 2632W Wireless PCMCIA card in a Dell 9100 inspiron.

When in Windows XP, I can issue an ipconfig command and my adapter is empty with an address of 0.0.0.0.

Any ideas or where I can look to help solve this issue?

Edited by bassplayer

Normally with VMware when VMware is configured for bridged networking, this means the machine would also get an IP address from your router like your normal PC would. I don't know if this is the same with VirtualBox, but sounds like you have some sort of misconfiguration with VirtualBox.

I would suggest adding a static IP address, along with default gateway being your router, and DNS also configured for your router (check your /etc/resolv.conf in your real machine to see what it has for DNS and set the same).

Then see if it works. If not, it could be your networking isn't configured in bridge mode with your ethernet card, allowing you access to the internet and normal network.

It's not Vmware... it's VirtualBox, and VirtualBox can set only bridged networking.

But the trouble is that both the host and the guest use the same MAC address, which means that you may have trouble with a few routers. This does not happen in VMWare, where the bridged guest passes to the router a virtual MAC address rather than the actual one.

It's not Vmware... it's VirtualBox, and VirtualBox can set only bridged networking.

But the trouble is that both the host and the guest use the same MAC address, which means that you may have trouble with a few routers. This does not happen in VMWare, where the bridged guest passes to the router a virtual MAC address rather than the actual one.

Ah, Okay. I do have a Windows XP VMware image that I can try to see how VMWare handles it.

Thanks for the info!

I've downloaded and installed VMWare-Server with no issues. The only issue I have is when I run the vmware-config.pl script when it tries to find the version.h file. I point it to /usr/src/linux, but it says it can't find it. I did find a version.h file in /usr/src/linux/linux/vcb (somthing like that anyway) and it says that it can't find a directory linux with the file version.h in it (e.g. linux/version.h). It also says something about doing a make mrproper when building a kernel and it removing files that would cause the version.h to me missing. Why do I have to build the kernel? The kernel is running just fine the way it is.

If you read my post correctly, you'd see I was talking about vmware, and then I mentioned I'm not sure if VirtualBox works the same way ;)

I've downloaded and installed VMWare-Server with no issues. The only issue I have is when I run the vmware-config.pl script when it tries to find the version.h file. I point it to /usr/src/linux, but it says it can't find it. I did find a version.h file in /usr/src/linux/linux/vcb (somthing like that anyway) and it says that it can't find a directory linux with the file version.h in it (e.g. linux/version.h). It also says something about doing a make mrproper when building a kernel and it removing files that would cause the version.h to me missing. Why do I have to build the kernel? The kernel is running just fine the way it is.

What's the output of:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

sounds like you don't have a kernel-source installed to me. Or if you have, then maybe you need to apply the vmware-any-any patch before running the config script. This you have to google and download separately. I think it's vmware-any-any-109 as the latest to-date.

I do have the kernel-source installed. That's the funny part. What does the vmware-any-any-update110.tar.gz do anyway? I did download it and the form states that this is for upgrades? I'm not upgrading, I'm trying to install new. This is the reason so many people don't like linux and still with windows. If its not right out of the box, forget it.

Sometimes vmware doesn't want to configure properly after install, and these little patches most times tend to fix this, a bit like the issue your experiencing. Sometimes if they don't, like I've experienced, a quick google based on your error can usually tell you what you need to do to get it up and running.

I'd be tempted to apply the patch you found, and then run vmware-config.pl after this and see if it resolves it. It won't do any harm applying it anyway.

Just use any-any. It's the only way to resolve problems like the one you have (and are quite common for heavily patched kernels, like Mandriva's).

The new VMWare 6 (and VMware Player 2 as well, I think) has ready modules included for Ubuntu Feisty stock kernel, no idea if this applies for Mandiva Spring as well.