New Video Decoder?

carlito

I haven't been here in a while, lost my internet connection for a few weeks, then started a new job that has kept me pretty busy for the last few months, but I would like to appreciate mandrivausers.org for remembering my birthday a few weeks back! anyways, what brings me back is I just bought a new dvd and tried to use vobcopy (don't know if anyone's tried that one or not) to make a backup copy of the dvd, the prog just hung, when I tried to watch the dvd on my computer, it just doesn't work. All I get is green garbage across the screen with occasional clear glimpses of the actual movie. Are they using a new type of encryption on the newer dvd's, and if so, what am I going to need to download in order to watch them and make backup copies? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to just upgrade my whole os, which if I'm not mistaken is still at 10.1 official, but being stuck with dialup, that may take a while. I'm currently using Xine v0.99.2, mplayer v1.0, and libdvdcss v1.2.9, and nothing works. Will an upgrade to all of these fix the problem, or does this go deeper? Thanks for any help.

carl

In the latest Polish version of "Linux +" there is an article about copying DVD-Video disks. The author claims, that currently there are no progs for copying protected DVD available on Linux, only for unprotected. But he also encourages to use three freeware programs written for Windows - DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter and RipIt4Me - to make a legal copy of ones DVDs. They work flawlessly under Wine. Just after installing Wine, You have to configure it properly, so tape in console

winecfg

where Windows Version has to be set on Windows NT 4.0, and on Drivers bookmark You have to set your DVD-ROM (You can use autodetect option to do that).

You also have to download some .dll files, from this site i.e.:

--> mfc42.dll

--> msvcp60.dll

and put them in a location, where Wine-running applications see as c:\windows\system32 (implicitly in .wine/drive_c/windows/system32).

After that You are ready to install those three mentioned above applications. When it comes to RipIt4Me You have to choose a version with FixVTS.

After successful installation run all of them three to check whether they see Your DVD-ROM. In DVD Shrink additionally You have to set Edit -> Preview -> Select DirectX video renderer -> Built-in Software Renderer.

Then close all three apps, and run

wineserver -k

just in case ;)

Now You only have to put Your DVD-Video into your DVD-ROM, mount it, and run RipIt4Me

wine "c:\program files\ripit4me\ripit4me.exe"

After the initial analysis it will run DVD Decrypter by itself with adequate options - You just have to click on an proper icon, which will start to copy DVD content on HDD. After it finishes click on Run FixVTS again in RipIt4Me and finally open in DVD Shrink. In this program choose desired content and make an .iso image.

When it's done You'll have and .iso image of Your DVD-Video ready to burn on an empty DVD, using K3b i.e.

Hope that will help a bit ;)

Edited by zibi1981

While the above is interesting for reference, and may indeed provide the user with more features, the Linux+ article author's claim is false.

With mencoder, it is actually quite easy to get the video from a protected DVD, and encode it to whatever you like in 1, or 2, or 3 pass. That's all assuming that this operation is allowed where you live, of course; in the USA and most of Europe, it is not.

Yves.

That's all assuming that this operation is allowed where you live, of course; in the USA and most of Europe, it is not.
I thought making a backup copy for personal use is allowed in Europe, no?

As for mencoder, does that rip it and re-encode it? Is it possible to just copy the DVD identically to another one? I kind of figured K3b would be able to do it but I've never tried yet.

In Europe, there is an equivalent to USA's "fair use". Yet the Big Media companies managed to make themselves heard in Europe through the backdoor: it seems there's an European directive prompting European countries to adapt their law in such a fashion that "intellectual property" protection measures cannot be broken. It is just a directive though, hence the "most of" in my previous post. In France, the infamous "DADVSI" law was voted last year in application of the European directive. It is said to go even further than the directive, but it is actually so far from "real world realities" that many points are in fact unenforceable, and this law is bound to be reworked sooner or later...

As for mencoder, no it cannot do a bit-perfect copy of the whole DVD. It can only handle audio/video files/chapters; this it can do bit-perfect :) So you can for example author your own copy of the DVD based on a bit-perfect copy of the movie. If you're patient, you can even grab the menu videos and buttons (subtitles). I mean you can copy the DVD content but not the layout with mencoder.

Yves.

Hmm, that's interesting. I've never used mencoder, as I've never had to make a protected DVD copy. Is it a console-based application, or it does have a friendly GUI?

Edited by zibi1981

mencoder is hardly a tool to be explained in a few words. There are GUI front-ends, but none can provide all the options. But then, who has the knowledge to use all options? I certainly don't. My mencoder bible is:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/

My tools of choice are mencoder, dvdauthor, subtitleripper... but to tell the truth, maybe I tend to use the command-line too much :lol: There are in fact plenty of GUI tools for those tools.

Yves.

Mencoder is working, and the author of the article forgot to mention that both fixvts and ripit4me folded a few weeks ago! :rolleyes:

From the bunch I've only used DVDShrink under wine, and I can confirm it does work great, provided that you will shut down the preview window.

Edited by scarecrow

So you can for example author your own copy of the DVD based on a bit-perfect copy of the movie.
Hey, that could be useful for getting rid of the flashy, irritating, long and unskippable "piracy is STEALING!" trailer which they force me to watch (on the DVD which I bought :angry: ).

Ironic that only the law-abiding consumers get nagged like that, until they're incentivized to copy the DVD...