How to install a big program on mcnlive?

Guest Antonis Tsolomitis

Guest Antonis Tsolomitis

Hello.

I just "discovered" mcnlive and it is indeed awesome. Congratulations to all that helped.

I have a couple of questions. The first is how to install a big program. In particular, I would like to create

a live cd (actually DVD) that includes TeXLive plus kile, xpdf, and gv. TeXLive is a huge installation. If you remove its documentation

it comes to about 800Mb.

I am running on a machine with about 1.2 Gb RAM. When I boot with mcnlive it gives me something more than 400Mb available on /

So TeXLive can not be installed in one step.

Is there a simple solution?

Will it work if I do it incrementally? If for example I install 400Mb, remaster, burn, reboot and add the remaining 400Mb?

Another question is how to create a custom splash screen? Is there a llink to some documentation?

thank you very much,

Antonis.

I have a couple of questions. The first is how to install a big program. In particular, I would like to create

a live cd (actually DVD) that includes TeXLive plus kile, xpdf, and gv. TeXLive is a huge installation. If you remove its documentation

it comes to about 800Mb.

I am running on a machine with about 1.2 Gb RAM. When I boot with mcnlive it gives me something more than 400Mb available on /

So TeXLive can not be installed in one step.

Is there a simple solution?

Will it work if I do it incrementally? If for example I install 400Mb, remaster, burn, reboot and add the remaining 400Mb?

Antonis.

Hi Antonis, welcome on MUB :-)

Short answer is: yes. You can make a remaster of a remaster of a remaster and so on. We have tested it with about 20-30 levels of remastering, and it still works.

Some go for something else that works as good. They install mcnlive first as a normal system on the hard disk (in non live mode). In this case you can make a remaster in one step because you won't run out of RAM. From a normal installed system please use the command line mklivecd command, it is explained in the howto pages on thge running mcnlive. The graphical wiziard (simple) is only made for remaster-on-the-fly.

Also, a remaster from a remaster from a hd installed system from a ... and so on also works. It just doesn't break as long as you don't change the scripts and don't uninstall dependencies, and don't change the normal MDV init scripts.

Another question is how to create a custom splash screen? Is there a llink to some documentation?

Which splash? The isolinux splash? The kernel boot splash? The kde login manager splash or the KDE splash?

Guest Antonis Tsolomitis
Which splash? The isolinux splash? The kernel boot splash? The kde login manager splash or the KDE splash?

Thank you for your answer. I will try it.

About the splash: I mean the isolinux and kernel boot splash. I want simply to add the TeX logo on these splashes. I understand that you can give

this info to the mcn advanced tool. But first you have to create these splashes. My question is how to do it. It is not a jpg or something similar. It is a special

file. (which by the way is not recognizable by the file command).

Edited by Antonis Tsolomitis

1. To create the special isolinux boot splash, it is a pain, really, at least for this version of MCNLive.

I described it here:

http://www.mandrivaclub.nl/site/index.php?...ost&p=75807

The script to generate it (/usr/bin/lilo-bmp2mdk) is not even available in Mandriva now, I had to take an old MDV version.

You are faster just using a text file.

Next version will use an easy way with a jpg file, and a different isolinux verson, but the mklivecd scripts needs some adjustments to use it:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry313211

2. The kernel bootsplash. Just replace this file :

/usr/share/bootsplash/themes/Mandriva/images/bootsplash-800x600.jpg

with your own one, it has to be the same name, and the same size.

Edited by anna

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.