serious live cd problems

Guest 4thwall

Guest 4thwall

:wall:

Ok, so I just a 2 gb flash drive and I'm very excited to try out MCNlivecd. So I burn it to a disk and restart my computer. Everything is starting to load in a terminal and then the system checks for loop or something and has some error, unable to mount loop system. It doesn''t even get to gui.

Now this is off live cd, whats going on, why am I having this problem? By the way I'm using Delft.

I've even tried it with two different discs so I know the discs aren't scratched or anything, what is this loop system its looking for, isn't that whats on a flash drive after its all installed?

Edited by 4thwall

This sounds like a possible bad burn. Have you tried re-burning the image to a different cd, possibly at a slower speed? Also, make sure to do an md5sum check on the ISO files (some basic directions are here).

Guest 4thwall

Thats the thing, it seems like it checks a harddrive for this so called loop system. I used a pretty clean cd last time, and a dirty one, both the same error, now I'm using a brand new one, I'm gonna try burning cherbourg too.

Guest 4thwall

This site also mentions the loop but not during boot (weird):

What is the wizard ' Create persistent loop' for?

This wizard creates a (big) file on a chosen partition to prepare the feature: make all changes persistent.

* It will ask you where to create this file and how big it should be.

* If you go for an ext3 partition, this partition will get the label MCNLIVE.

* The wizard does not create or erase any partitions.

It seems like can create this loop on my flash drive, but why is it asking for it when I'm just loading through livecd?

Edited by 4thwall

4thwall,

your error has nothing to do with the persistent loop image. You didn't create any, you don't start with the specific boot code.

Every live cd is mounted at a certain stage as loop.

Your error indicates that at this stage the boot process can't continue because of problems with the either the CD drive or the cd medium.

Please try this first:

* Check the md5 sum of the downloaded iso image, first.

* Then burn at a very low speed, 8x. And use a CD-RW (re-writable) if available.

Also, your CD-drive or the controller might not like the burned CD.

Can you tell us about your hardware?

--chris

Edited by anna

Just to add I too have the same problem or simlair. I've burn't the image (Delft) on a CDR/W at 4 speed, checked the MD5 which all seems fine. Once I reboot with the disc in place & go for the default start up it stops at this error

mount: Mounting /dev/loop0 on initrd/loopfsfailed: invalid argument

which then proceeds to a limited shell

Hardware: lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE Host-to-AGP Bridge (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17GL [Quadro4 200/400 NVS] (rev a3)
02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
02:09.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface
02:0b.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 61)
02:0b.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 61)
02:0b.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 62)
02:0b.3 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 46)

DVD: NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW

any ideas? (sorry if this feels like a hijack of a thread)

mount: Mounting /dev/loop0 on initrd/loopfs failed: invalid argument

At this stage it either looses the contact to the cd/dvd drive, or can't read the medium, or the data on the medium is corrupted.

Your hardware should not have a problem at all.

Is it a laptop or a desktop?

One cd/dvd drive or more?

How is it connected, I guess IDE? Together with a hard disk? Internal or external?

Can you boot any other Live CD's, burned on the _same_ brand medium, burned with the same burner?

(some drives don't like specific brands, burned with specific bruners and so on ...)

Does it boot on a different computer?

Sorry, I am running out of ideas.

I also can't think of a bootcode. You could try: livecd noapic nolapic acpi=off irqpoll debug

Edited by anna

Thanks for the pointers. I didn't really know what that particular error meant but know that you've enlightened :) me I will further investigate the possiblity of the disc & go down that road.

Thanks

EDIT: Feedback:

well as you stated it was the CD. I reburnt the iso to another cdr/w (sony) & all was well so thank you.

Wow copy2ram is absolutley brill, I really can't get over the speed of a 'live cd' well done..

Wireless works (Ndiswrapper) :)

One thing I did notice was when running the command 'mklivecd --help' it showed

--usbhome					   Use USB memory stick devices as a persistent
							   home when available/connected on bootup. (broken)

Anyway I will start a new thread for that - a big thanks for a very nice live cd :)

ps: for once I wish I had a ATI for the 3D desktop lol

Edited by jaraeez

Ah ok, it was the CD.

The usbhome thing: it does not work. That's why you see: (broken)

To make all changes persitent Delft has the feature: livecd persist

Reg. the 'copy2ram'

It is one of the most amazing things in the live system linux world. Unfortunately folks just don't try it. Those who do are tempted to never run an HD installed system again -- because it is so much faster, snappier etc.

well as you stated it was the CD. I reburnt the iso to another cdr/w (sony) & all was well so thank you

Was beaten to it!

Something else to bear in mind (and a few other threads or people giving anodectical evidence of this)

is that further to bad brand of cd/dvd, bad burn, fussy players, there is also the case

of good burn, good player but cd/dvd ever so slighlty warped or not well balanced,

so even 2 dvd from a same pack can have different behaviour

(I have burnt mandy 2007.1. on 2 dvds one boots, the other does not, thanks to the fussy dvd-player

of an IBM laptop)

and here goes those errors that make little sense

Sometimes dvd players need cleaning as well

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.