Dell D820

Guest tdmelvin65

Guest tdmelvin65

I downloaded and burned the new Mandriva Spring 2007 iso. I can boot from the CD on my D820 no problem. Everything is recognized, life is good. Even the 3D works! However, this is all from the laptop undocked. I docked it on my DELL Advanced Port Replicator [the kind that plugs into the bottom of the laptop]. Fired up the CD, and it shows the splash screen. It looks like it starts to load, and at the point of showing the NVIDIA splash screen to load the desktop, it goes blank. No display, and the monitor shows "Power Save Mode"

Id like to install it on the docking station to be sure it works. Also, I tried both VGA and DVI, same results.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!

;)

Hi, and welcome to the board! :)

It looks like it starts to load, and at the point of showing the NVIDIA splash screen to load the desktop, it goes blank.
Sorry, I have no experience in neither nvidia nor Mandriva One(?).

Id like to install it on the docking station to be sure it works.
I think it will work even if you plug it in afterwards, at least that was the case with my Dell and a C/Dock II. And as you can read in this thread linux is very good on detecting hardware after an installation.

Also, I tried both VGA and DVI, same results.
What about the internal screen?

Port replicators are not always friendly. My PR does not allow me to use my DVI LCD monitor in dual/clone mode, it's either the monitor or laptop.

Install Linux on the laptop undocked, then dock the laptop, exit the graphic mode to console and try to configure X again using Xdrake or Xorg configuration tools. A good idea is to backup the original xorg.conf and XF86Config files. If new configuration works, you are lucky. If it doesn't, then you will have to manually edit xorg.conf, e.g., add monitor/screen/layout/input device sections, etc. You will have to learn some stuff about Xorg, but this is not a rocket science and there are many examples you can learn from. A good thing is that if you do it from the console, you can always restore the original configuration (if you made a backup of course).

Guest tdmelvin65

Thanks for the information! I'll give it a whirl...I'll install it on the laptop, undocked. If I need to do mod the .conf, I will.

Thanks again!