scribus 1.3.3.8 - 1.3.3.9 [solved]

What you do need to understand is you are not simply installing a piece of software you are compiling software prior to installing it. Very different. Anyway the first output(s) as it says are warnings and scribus will carry on regardless.

QT problem tells you to look at the end of the config.log. This will have been created in the directory you are compiling from. Take a look at it and it will give you clues. Also the ./cofigure is telling it needs the (headers and libraries). You say you installed all the development packages you could find, may be you need sdk's, or qtlib packages.This is where the learning comes in. Look at the log file and I'll bet you find the answer in there.

all right, i finished installing the sdk packages and when i want to install qtlib, it tells me :

urpmi qtlib

No package named qtlib

i am stuck again, 602 mb downloaded and installed for nothing.

all right, i finished installing the sdk packages and when i want to install qtlib, it tells me :

i am stuck again, 602 mb downloaded and installed for nothing.

i try to install qt-devel but it tells me taht :

urpmi qt-devel

Some requested packages cannot be installed:

PyQt-devel-3.15.1-4mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied PyQt[== 3.15.1])

It's libqt3 and libqt3-devel, use your gui software management to find them. You will also need libxml2 and libxml2-devel.

Here are all the requirements.

amazing, i was able to compile scribus after having had to download 700 mb OF Development packages.

it was a very strenuous experience.

no wonder people stick to windows or mac.

i wasted all my evening to install scribus and after that i too tired and p*&"£ed of to do something on it.

Linux is defintely NOT READY for the common user, like all distros want to make us believe, it is still aimed to the fervent computer geek.

i am again very much disapointed.

like i said before, id rather spend my time using the DTP and graphic software raher than wasting time trying to install them.

:realmad:

Edited by photoworks

id rather spend my time using the DTP and graphic software raher than wasting time trying to install them

That's funny. You know, by using something else, like say gentoo, for building Scribus from source you just have to type TWO words:

emerge scribus

Or, on my Arch Linux, if there's not an available binary for the program "foo" I like, I can install a few thousands of packages available on AUR repository by typing TWO words, again:

yaourt foo

Do you think it's easier under windoze? Really?

It's just Mandriva (as well as several other "newbie frriendly" distros) which aren't tailored for such jobs, plain and simple. There are over three hundred different distros out there, simply pick the one that suits your needs best.

Supposing the latest version is available but the whole problem here is the OP wants to install bleeding edge version when in order to solve the original problem he could probably have downgraded to a previous version!

Leastwise on Debian there is the 1.2.5 stable version and 1.3.3.9 in testing BUT scribus has a whole sperate development branch.. scribus-ng...1.3.4 direct package from CVS...

i wasted all my evening to install scribus

Just to clarify a bit, you spent less the a minute installing scribus. :)

You spent the evening setting up your development environment, which you would also have had to do using another OS (such as Windows), then compiling your application from source code (if that application version was not yet available for that OS).

I should also note here, that if you had read and followed the requirements and instructions on both the scribus web site and or the instructions in the tarball, it would not have taken so much of your time.

For the record, now that you have your dev-environment set up, it will not take so long to compile from source again.

I hope that you understand that this is an explanation, and not meant to be a sarcastic statement. :)

@admin, I suppose that this can be marked as solved.

Just to clarify a bit, you spent less the a minute installing scribus. :)

You spent the evening setting up your development environment, which you would also have had to do using another OS (such as Windows), then compiling your application from source code (if that application version was not yet available for that OS).

I should also note here, that if you had read and followed the requirements and instructions on both the scribus web site and or the instructions in the tarball, it would not have taken so much of your time.

For the record, now that you have your dev-environment set up, it will not take so long to compile from source again.

I hope that you understand that this is an explanation, and not meant to be a sarcastic statement. :)

@admin, I suppose that this can be marked as solved.

i am sorry, but from the time i had all the requirements done and i started to launch the process from ./configure , it took 2 hours for my machine to compile and install scribus from the source. HARDLY 1 minute.

You could load a compiler cache, say "ccache" before compiling. This would slash down compiling time to one third or even less.

Now ask some guys here who have compiled, using Gentoo, their kernel, xorg, kde, and openoffice using a PIII/700 Mhz with 256M RAM... how much time did they have to spare?