Why I love Gentoo

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I just thought it was really tedious. Copy and pasting from the LFS manual and then having to sit and wait for things to comple and then move onto the next one. The manual is pretty thorough as to what you need.

As far as Gentoo goes I don't think I'm an above average user (thank you SoulSe :)) I just like researching and problem solving. And I get to do that with gentoo and probably other advanced linux distros as tyme says. I just happen to use Gentoo. Gentoo really isn't that hard to install or use, it's just that when you run into a problem it's really complex and you have to dig for answers. But Gentoo is so well documented that you can find a lot of answers with Google and then the Gentoo Forums hold a tremendous wealth of information and I can find answers through searching a lot of times and then posting if I can't. That's how I happened to luck out and find a NUT developer who happens to be a Gentoo user. Without him, I'd never have gotten anything done.

Yes, it was me. Currently I am writing this from my RHEL/StartCom AS5 distro and this distro is just the opposite to mystis Gentoo. Absolutely nothing, really absolutely nothing (!) ever breaks here. And I wait for security fixes and bugfixes but none are there. It is somehow intimidating, amazing and boring to have such a stable box. But it is great in case your other distros break, so you have always one fall-back option available. :)

CentOS 5 x86_64 on my laptop and on a hd on another box. Rock solid! ;)

That being said, I have gentoo on another hd too and it is fun to use sometimes too.

I don't know. I just thought it was really tedious. Copy and pasting from the LFS manual and then having to sit and wait for things to comple and then move onto the next one. The manual is pretty thorough as to what you need.

As far as Gentoo goes I don't think I'm an above average user (thank you SoulSe :)) I just like researching and problem solving. And I get to do that with gentoo and probably other advanced linux distros as tyme says. I just happen to use Gentoo. Gentoo really isn't that hard to install or use, it's just that when you run into a problem it's really complex and you have to dig for answers. But Gentoo is so well documented that you can find a lot of answers with Google and then the Gentoo Forums hold a tremendous wealth of information and I can find answers through searching a lot of times and then posting if I can't. That's how I happened to luck out and find a NUT developer who happens to be a Gentoo user. Without him, I'd never have gotten anything done.

Ohh boy. I should really appreciate your patience on problem solving. I have so many problems to solve in life and at work, that I dont want to have new problems adding up from my laptop. :P :P

For me I count every minute of time I enjoy watching movies, playing games and chatting with buddies, so I love any Operating Systems which need minimal time to get going , like Mandriva and even Windows. Every minute spend on solving some laptop related problems at home, is just loss of time in ur short span of life (lol this is too philosophical) :lol2: :lol2: