Troubleshooting ethernet/network [solved]

delta charlie

Hi all, I have a fresh install of Mandriva Spring 2007 on an AMD 64 computer. The install went well; however, I'm stuck with no Internet or network access. DHCP does not seem to be able to get the correct IP address so I tried using static. First I used the settings from a IP camera that I know is correct (un-plugged the camera to free up the IP Ect.) After doing this ifconfig shows the correct IP and I can ping it but I can't ping anything on the LAN or the WAN.

I know the ethernet card is hooked up and working as I can boot Damn Small Linux (DSL) and it works fine. I have full Internet and network access with it and can ping anything. BTW - DHCP works fine with DSL.

Next I tried entering the network info that I got from running ifconfig on DSL into Mandriva using the Mandriva Linux Control Center (set up a new network interface) after doing this everything looked just like it did on the working DSL but I can not ping past the IP address.

Looks like I'm going to need some help and ideas to try and sort this out.

Thanks, DC

What kind of ethernet controller are you using? In the past I have had problems with the installer failing to set up the correct kernel modules.

Try this to find your ethernet controller:

lspci | grep Ethernet

You will need to find out the name of the kernel module, then append it to /etc/modprobe.preload (IIRC), if it's already there, then we might have to consider alternatives.

Thanks for the reply, I just ran lspci -v on both DSL and Mandriva and both are the same:

Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)

Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine II] Embeded Ethernet

Controller on VT8235 Flages: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10

Looks like I need to try and figure out how to compare the kernel module of the working DSL against the non working Mandriva. Come to think of it I think DSL uses an older kernel.

Got to run, DC

Did you have a look at the /etc/modprobe.preload file?

Hi, just took a look but do not see much. Just the amd64-agp 3 times.

---

# /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.

#

# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are

# to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with

# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.

# this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY

# for old kernel use /etc/modules

amd64-agp

amd64-agp

amd64-agp

---

BTW - my ethernet net connection just started working and I'm not sure why. I was logged in as root and just started to try and use the GUI menu (configure your computer -> Network -> new conection) to try and double check things when I saw the network plug icon at the top right screen show connected. I'm using the computer now to post this.

I will post a follow up if I can figure out what fixed the problem. It might have been nothing more then logging in as root instead of a user. (When I logged in as a user it did ask for root pass word but maybe the config did not stick until I logged in as root)

Got to run, DC

---

# /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.

#

# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are

# to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with

# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.

# this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY

# for old kernel use /etc/modules

amd64-agp

amd64-agp

amd64-agp

---

Try adding

via-rhine

at the end of that list.

Try adding
via-rhine

at the end of that list.

Hi, I think you may be on to something. This morning when I booted the computer the network was down. Took a look at the messages file and found:

May 16 06:06:03 none mdkapplet[5606]: Checking Network: seems disabled

May 16 06:06:09 none drakconnect[6699]: ### Program is exiting ###

May 16 06:06:12 none drakconnect[6846]: ### Program is starting ###

May 16 06:06:13 none mdkapplet[5606]: Checking Network: seems disabled

May 16 06:06:23 none mdkapplet[5606]: Checking Network: seems disabled

May 16 06:06:31 none drakconnect[6846]: running: /sbin/modprobe via-rhine

May 16 06:06:31 none kernel: via-rhine.c:v1.10-LK1.2.0-2.6 June-10-2004 Written by Donald Becker

May 16 06:06:31 none kernel: eth0: VIA Rhine II at 0x1d400, 00:14:2a:f5:19:d7, IRQ 177.

May 16 06:06:31 none kernel: eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7869 advertising 05e1 Link 41e1.

May 16 06:06:32 none ifplugd(eth0)[6892]: ifplugd 0.28 initializing.

May 16 06:06:32 none kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1

May 16 06:06:32 none ifplugd(eth0)[6892]: Using interface eth0/00:14:2A:F5:19:D7 with driver <via-rhine> (version: 1.2.0-2.6)

I just put the via-rhine in the modprobe.preload file, should know if it helped the next time I boot.

Thanks, DC