2007.1 drops support for HP-PSC? [solved]

teledyn

After upgrading to 2007.1 (Spring), xsane no longer shows my hp-psc 1315; in the drakconf, the HP is not mentioned under scanners (only my webcam) and while it is mentioned under Hardware, the configuration button tells you to run printerdrak and printerdrak tells you to run scannerdrak.

I ran the hp-setup, and this only tells me that the PPD package is missing from the 2007.1 DVD -- I obtained the package from a net mirror and it contains the PPD for these printers, but there is still no scanner capabilities.

this is a major, major loss of functionality :o

how are we to enable the scanner in these printers?

and if not, is it possible to downgrade back to 2007.0?

that seems to find it no problem:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x0471, product=0x030b) at libusb:001:003
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [hp], product=0x3f11 [psc 1310 series ]) at libusb:001:005

but neither xsane nor xscanimage offer any option to select it. Could I be missing some sane package?

fwiw, this scanner has worked flawlessly for the past several years, probably since Mandrake 10.1 or even before, and nothing has changed except upgrading from 2007.0

No problem ...

$ sudo urpmi sane-backends
Package sane-backends-1.0.18-10mdv2007.1.i586 is already installed

$ scanimage -L
device `v4l:/dev/v4l/video0' is a Noname Philips PCVC665K virtual device

So this test shows only the webcam, whereas the other previous test shows both.

So I'm basically SOL here? The HP 1310 scanner support really has been dropped?

when I run the harddrake scanner program it says the scanner is not in the "database" and offers to "configure manually" -- clicking that link correctly shows the scanner ID string as HP 1310 (it is really a 1315, but the 1310 driver was always the one that worked before) but in the list of scanners that appears in the tree-select list below that ID string there are no HP PSC models at all.

is it possible to revert just the scanner software to the Mandriva 2007.0 versions?

So I'm basically SOL here? The HP 1310 scanner support really has been dropped?

Seems so :o -- this is listed in the bugzilla: http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=30719

printerdrake-1.4-1mdv2007.1 does not see the scanner on my HPPSC1210

multifunction device. This worked fine in previous releases.

There might be an upstream bug with HPLIP (refer

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hplip/+bug/107064) but I am not sure.

Unfortunately that link is a 404, and there's no obvious search service on that launchpad page, but it does suggest that this issue is not limited to the Mandriva release; the Mandriva bug may simply be the very bad advice which scannerdrake and printerdrake give to solving this issue, and we PSC users will simply have to find our OS software elsewhere :(

Edited by teledyn

you just needed to delete the ) ...

Doh-- Thanks for fixing that. Not that it helped any; I checked in /etc/sane.d and both the 10.1 machine and the 2007.1 machine have the same collection of HP files. Besides, the above results show how the sane detect test did find the printer, but the scanimage test did not.

Where would scan image get its files? Is there a potential there to copy something over from the 10.1 machine to enable the scanning from the PSC scanner?

Good news: as posted in the bugzilla: http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=30719 I cracked this one and it was a bug, a bug in the 1.6/1.7 hplip package that slipped by undetected by the packager; if you go to the HPLIP Sourceforge Page, you can download the latest update .run file that will detect your Mandriva version and install itself over the RPM ... or you can wait until the packagers sort out who really owns the package and an updated RPM is released.

This workaround probably fixes problems with several HP printers.