LPR - Remote printing [solved]

bassplayer

I have a Mandriva 2007.1 installation and I am currently using a SMC Barricade SMC7004AWBR wireless router with a built-in print server. Connected to the print server I have a hp laserjet 1200. Back in the day when I used to be an expert on this unix stuff (SCO -- Oh My He said SCO!) Unixware 7.0) we used to set up lpr (or LPD) printing. I've been reading information on linux-foundation.org and they say that LPD printing is outdated and to use the newer CUPS. I have a question though. All I really want to do is setup a standard TCP/IP printer port on lpt1 port 9100 using LPR protocol and IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. When I try to enter the information into CUPS, it cannot find the network printer. Here's the CUPS info:

Add a new printer:

[x] Enter host name/IP address of network printer

Next

Host/IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Protocol: TCP/Socket, jetDirect

Port: 9100

Next

Which printer model do you have?

HP

LaserJet 1200

Printerdrake installing user-supplied ppd file (I downloaded this from linux-foundation.org)

Next

Printer supports optional hardware

Fit to Page: Prompt User

Total Printer Memory: 8-15 MB

Next

Printerdrake <2>

Failed to configure printer "HPLaserJet1200"!

Any ideas?

I have just finished chasing this very same problem and my solution was to install webmin and set up the printers from there. However the only changes I could find that webmin made that MCC didn't was the following in /etc/cups/printers.conf

<Printer HPCLJet2600n>
Info HP Color LaserJet 2600n
[i][b]DeviceURI socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100[/b][/i] <------
State Idle
StateTime 1178972477
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy retry-job

After that manual change it all works fine.

You could always try

http://localhost:631

Which should bring up the cups web interface, and install from there.

I just remembered that one. :wall:

Hope that helps.

I did try setting the printer up through CUPS web admin

http://localhost:631

, and it did install the printer, but when I sent test print to it, I received the following every refresh -- printer busy, waiting 10 seconds.... and then printer busy,waiting 15 seconds. It keeps incrementing until I cancel the print job. The printer in the mean time is setting idle looking at me funny. I'll try the manual printers.conf changes and see if that helps.

Thank you!

You could try a different protocol maybe.

I tried that as well as modifying the printers.conf file. I receive the same results -- No print output. I then figured if I can't get network printing to work (this and other problems I'm running into from a fresh install are starting to make me thing that I should just put windows back on my machine) I tried to install a usb printer - Lexmark x125, which cups had drivers for. Of course this didn't work either when I specified a local spool and the usb port (e.g. /dev/usb/lp2 -- yes, its plugged into the 3rd usb port). This is the third issue I've run into after installing Mandriva 2007.1.

signed - frustrated :wall:

Is there any reason why you downloaded a user supplied PPD file, than use the default one with Mandriva? I can only think you'd have done this if the LaserJet 1200 didn't already exist in the printer list. However, I have it in my cups list fine without having to add a PPD. Maybe this is why you're having problems?

Is there any reason why you downloaded a user supplied PPD file, than use the default one with Mandriva? I can only think you'd have done this if the LaserJet 1200 didn't already exist in the printer list. However, I have it in my cups list fine without having to add a PPD. Maybe this is why you're having problems?

I thought so too, so I tried the one that was included with Mandriva, but I get the same results.

Seeing as you keep getting the same results i.e. printer busy it would suggest you have some jobs stuck in a queue or something. If you haven't already done so it may by an idea to uninstall cups, delete the cups directory from /etc and delete any installed printers. Re-install cups and your printer(s) using the ppd files offered in Mandriva and using the cups web interface (localhost:631). After a COLD reboot, just to clear any queues etc. It sounds a big ordeal but as you will know it's not a lot of work really.

As I said in my first reply I chased down the exact problem you are experiencing, except for the printer busy, and spent a number of hours chasing my own tail. Cups and network printer setup really does work. ;)

Seeing as you keep getting the same results i.e. printer busy it would suggest you have some jobs stuck in a queue or something. If you haven't already done so it may by an idea to uninstall cups, delete the cups directory from /etc and delete any installed printers. Re-install cups and your printer(s) using the ppd files offered in Mandriva and using the cups web interface (localhost:631). After a COLD reboot, just to clear any queues etc. It sounds a big ordeal but as you will know it's not a lot of work really.

As I said in my first reply I chased down the exact problem you are experiencing, except for the printer busy, and spent a number of hours chasing my own tail. Cups and network printer setup really does work. ;)

I don't have any issues doing what you ask. Its no problem. Heck, I used to use Slackware about 10 years ago, so all of this is coming back slowly. :)

I don't think jobs are stuck in the printer. I used my wife's XP machine to verify the queue being empty. That's what the frustrating part is. The queue is cleared and it still telling me its busy. I'll clean everything out and redo everything from scratch and see if that works. Fingers crossed :)

I have a Mandriva 2007.1 installation and I am currently using a SMC Barricade SMC7004AWBR wireless router with a built-in print server. Connected to the print server I have a hp laserjet 1200. Back in the day when I used to be an expert on this unix stuff (SCO -- Oh My He said SCO!) Unixware 7.0) we used to set up lpr (or LPD) printing. I've been reading information on linux-foundation.org and they say that LPD printing is outdated and to use the newer CUPS. I have a question though. All I really want to do is setup a standard TCP/IP printer port on lpt1 port 9100 using LPR protocol and IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. When I try to enter the information into CUPS, it cannot find the network printer...

...because the printer is connected to the router and talks to the printserver on the router.

Printing to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100 will only work if your printer has its own ethernet card and is assigned an IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Since your printer is connected to the router/printsevrer, you should print to the lpd queue on the server. Fire up MCC, select printers (or whatever the name) -> add printer -> connection type -> printer on the remote lpd server -> Remote host name 192.168.0.1 (the router's IP address), remote printer name lp.

Works for me

...because the printer is connected to the router and talks to the printserver on the router.

Printing to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100 will only work if your printer has its own ethernet card and is assigned an IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Since your printer is connected to the router/printsevrer, you should print to the lpd queue on the server. Fire up MCC, select printers (or whatever the name) -> add printer -> connection type -> printer on the remote lpd server -> Remote host name 192.168.0.1 (the router's IP address), remote printer name lp.

Works for me

That's probably it. I was trying to print to the router (gateway) and not the print queue. I'll give it a try after work.

Thanks!

I found this out on the internet this evening since all the other suggestions didn't work:

The Barricade provides Line Printer

Daemon. Customers have to setup

/etc/printcap and set the queue name to

"LPT1". The following is an example for

Red Hat Linux release 5.1:

You can also use the RedHat Printtool

# /etc/printcap

hp6p: :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp6p:

:rm=192.168.2.1: :rp=LPT1:

:lp=/dev/null: :sh:

hp2100: :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp2100:

:rm=192.168.2.1: :rp=LPT1:

:lp=/dev/null: :sh:

I then looked in the /etc/printcap file and modified the following line that cups put in there:

hp|HP Laserjet 1200:rm=localhost:rp=hp:

to

hp|HP Laserjet 1200:rm=192.168.2.1:rp=LPT1

Prints beautifully! :)

Glad you got it sorted, we never stop learning. I think the way you found the answer is in my tagline somewhere. :P

Definitely a happy camper today. I was able to get my printing, dvd, and virtualbox issues resolved last night. Its great to have these message boards! :D