2007.1 NFS locks up computer so trying samba

flarefox

I am running mandriva 2007.1 and I have a network drive that I want to use. Unfortunately, NFS will let files go to 40%, then lock up my system until the transfers complete. It is all mp3s and videos. If I try to stream the files, it playes for 3 seconds, locks for about 5, then plays another 3 seconds. After trying workarounds for this I decided to just go with samba. The transfers go fast and I can access everything. The problem is that I can't seem to mount the share with write access and I need that! If i browse to:

smb://deemusicshare/Shared Files/

I enter my login/pass and everything works just fine. I can write that way but I can't stream music using amarok. If I use mcc to mount it and give users write access, users are not given write access! If I use smb4k to mount it, it crashes when I try. What's the problem? What am I doing wrong? :wall:

~Dee

If NFS isn't working as it should it might be indicating a network problem...

Have you tried for instance using ftp to transfer the file and see how it works..

Samba is more forgiving in terms of disconnections etc. (it automatically reconnects more or less) .. NFS is pretty simple .. and should be very relaible once set up... so I can't help thinking you perhaps have another problem?

I have to second what Gowator states. I use NFS everyday between to particular Linux distros & I have never has problems with disconnections during transfers, play media files & the like. The times of disconnections for me are when maybe my wireless drops. What do your logs say (/var/log/messages)? I would also like to point out that I only use NFS on my LAN which is protected ;) cos NFS is indeed quite simple..

I have to second what Gowator states. I use NFS everyday between to particular Linux distros & I have never has problems with disconnections during transfers, play media files & the like. The times of disconnections for me are when maybe my wireless drops. What do your logs say (/var/log/messages)? I would also like to point out that I only use NFS on my LAN which is protected ;) cos NFS is indeed quite simple..

Yep what NFS doesn't like is disconections ... but so long as the network is stable I do as Jaraeez every day... and I have admin'd networks with 100's of TB shared over NFS with never a hickup

In most way's NFS is very basic, it just takes for granted the usual way *NIX works... that is that TCP/IP is a part of the OS... and that files are mounted under / not the "windows way" of C: D: etc.

what I mean is NFS can perhaps be a pain for some things... like working out permissions both in exports and mount BUT dropping connections part way is not "normal"... its just not really like a "normal NFS problem" ... (most are about how to export to certain addresses or priv's etc.)...

edits: In other words we can try and fix your Samba stuff but I really think you have an underlying network problem... and whereby samba might reconnect OK the problem will still be there.... and probably come back to bite you elsewhere...

Edited by Gowator