free edition will not first boot for first timer

Ian, Arctic, Thanks for your replies.

By spooky coincidence a CD of the new Ubuntu distro dropped through my door this very morning and guess what it won't install.

It all seems to be going fine and then reaches a page finishing-

[100:338510] [<c010334b>] work_notifysig=0x13/0x18

[100:338510] ===========================

I've posted on the Ubuntu forum but it looks like the same story as with Mandriva. I can't understand this, my equipment is all about 2 years old and nothing exotic.

Anyway, it looks like that's that for me and Linux which is a real shame.

If I could just ask for one last piece of advice. How do I get rid of my Mandriva install and return my hard drive to Windows?

I have downloaded GParted live CD but am not sure exactly what to do with it.

Could one of you baby talk me through it please?

Thanks for all your patience, John Williams

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simply a case of deleting your Linux partitions which you can even do in Windows, because they will appear is inaccessible in the disk manager.

However, boot your Mandriva CD and choose rescue mode from the menu, you can then choose an option to restore the Windows bootloader. Then, when you next boot your system, it will go directly to Windows without prompting for Mandriva/Windows. Then delete the partitions not recognised by Windows.

However, it's a shame that it's not worked for you. I have a machine that is about 5 or 6 years old now, and won't shut down with any of the new distros. However, with Mandriva 2006 it behaves perfectly fine!

Ian and others, thanks for all your help. I have now removed all my non NTFS partitions and have ended up with a new partition on my c. drive. This is an NTFS partition and shows as K. drive in My Computer. I tried to extend the C. drive into it using Diskpart in Windows Disk Management but it wouldn't have it for some reason. Oh well at least I can now access it. Thanks for your help. I still don't understand why Linux won't work on my system but it wasn't for want of trying or want of help . Yours, John Williams

Perhaps something created K: as an NTFS partition. If it doesn't have any data in it you can delete and then expand the C: partition with Partition Magic or something similar.

Or, move the data from K: into C: and then resize.

Yes, it is a pity that it won't work with your hardware. But it is simply problematic at times. Consider the vast amount of hardware that is there and then consider that a significant number of drivers is/was written by programmers in their spare time. It is time-consuming and difficult if the drivers are not open-source (= Need to be written from scratch). Widely used hardware is more likely to be supported in Linux. So, if you have a less popular piece of hardware, running Linux on it might be a difficult task.

When you buy new hardware, check for compatibility first. You can do that e.g. by carrying a live-CD with you and test the distro at the store. I did that with my machines.