Some changes at Mandriva for 2008

arctic

From the cooker mailing list. I thought someone might be interested in reading it.

Hi all,

2007 Spring is now released for a few weeks. 2007 Spring is probably one of the best Mandriva Linux release in years and I want to thank all the teams, and also particularly all the cooker contributors, who have worked for long months on this project.

The distribution is solid and has greatly benefited from the additional 2 weeks of tests we put into polishing the result. And it shows: reviews are good and sales are solid.

We are now taking a short break before the next run: Mandriva Linux 2008. But during this break, we are making several changes in preparation for the next release.

First, I'm reorganizing the teams in the Engineering, promoting Anne Nicolas as Engineering Director. Anne was previously leading the Corporate team. She brings not only strong professionalism, but also a clear community minded approach. She will involve all the engineers in the Brazilian team, who can now play a central role in building the distribution. She will be in charge of the development of all the Mandriva Linux releases.

Second, Anne is working with the teams to draft the technical roadmap for the 2008 release. This roadmap will also contain a set of guidelines for contributors work. This is the starting point for discussing and adopting requirements expressed by the Cooker community.

Third, Anne will organize the work and enhance the Mandriva policy for contributors.

Mandriva is proud and honored to have one of the oldest free software community for distribution editors, one of the largest and one of the most open, with key contributors working on many of the core modules of the relese. Anne will ensure that this ecosystem continues to grow, opens even more, and also that interactions are better formalized

without breaking the fun in the game Wink

On this occasion, I'm proposing a further step and wish that the next Free Software version of Mandriva Linux be made directly by a member of the community.

Last, build platform improvements will also be resumed now that the release is out. Phase 1 was about stabilizing things, so let's head for Phase 2 and implement some much needed changes!

Thanks for reading so far. Thanks for your support of Mandriva Linux, and... Vive le Printemps!

--

dbarth

It means many things.

First it arised from a discussion that a user started on the mandriva club forum that the FREE ONE Live CD lacked. I then launched a discussion internally about that point.

The discussion bring out a few things:

-first, we do the FREE DVD, so we feel we are doing our duty as a FREE software citizen.

-second, we have decided to do less ONE versions, as you remember, as we were getting a lot of reports of users that found them puzzling. That and the difficulty to replace warly.

-third: as said above, replacing warly was not an easy task, and 2 people worked on the release while trying to learn all the tricks it requires. So there had to be choices made.

But during the discussion we brought out many use in which a live free CD could be usefull. A free version, a dvd live version, a small system version. But because of all the above, it wasnt possible to do all this. Blino proposed himself to do one, but I guess that dbarth wasnt too keen to have blino takes another hat, which would put us back in a warly situation: one talented guy does what needs to be done but find himself exhausted and the compagny finds itself into trouble if he leaves.

So I proposed to have it done through a community project since I was already setting something up in this area as many persons are already interrested in using draklive, the tool to do live CD. One of them is already producing a live CD from mcnLive for small system and has started to learn draklive.

I hope this will evolve in a full fledged community movement, with many connections with mandriva.

So that means that Mandriva is trying to do something similar as the fedora-project? Mandriva gives some manpower for the essential basic layout of Mandriva Free and community members build packages for the Free edition on a buildserver (totally acceptable IMO)? Or will the Free version be entirely built by a community while the enterprise edition and powerpacks are built by Mandriva (That would be damaging Mandrivas reputation IMHO)?

So that means that Mandriva is trying to do something similar as the fedora-project? Mandriva gives some manpower for the essential basic layout of Mandriva Free and community members build packages for the Free edition on a buildserver (totally acceptable IMO)? Or will the Free version be entirely built by a community while the enterprise edition and powerpacks are built by Mandriva (That would be damaging Mandrivas reputation IMHO)?

Does Mandriva have a big enough technical community outside it's payroll? Given that Mandriva is often labeled as the "beginners" distro (just a generalisation) do they have the right community to support the model, furthermore do they have the right people to manage a community effort (distinctly differrent to the corporate environment) and enforce the correct quality control (an area sometimes questionable by recent standards).

Is this (additional) high risk strategy another attempt to cut costs, or a reasonable effort to foster responsibility and encourage innovation within the community?

Guest Extreme Coder

Does this mean Free or One edition will have the same relationship to Mandriva as Fedora and RedHat? I certainly hope they're closer.

Extreme Coder

doesn't PCLinuxOS fit the community project already? Shouldn't thay contact Texsater et al and talk to them about this?

Talk about what?

It has been more than four years since Texstar left Mandrake (actually I think he has never been on their payroll), and his distro is very different from Mandriva: different targets, different definitions about "stable" packages, different packaging standards...

The only common things are RPM, MCC, KDE-centricity and that is all.