Cannot boot into Linux

c-clone

Coming back from a 2 weeks field work, I found that my desktop can no longer boot into Linux. My NEC Powermate boots then get into LILO. On checking filesystem, it says "fsck.ext3: Attemptto read block from filesystem resulted in short read. Could this be zero lenght partition?"

On another line it says "while trying to open/dev/hda6, Failed to check filesystem. Do you want to repair the errors?"

I typed y and enter. Then I am inform an error occured during file system check and requested root password for maintenance. Providing the password get me to a kind of shell. Exiting from this shell reboots.

Does anybody has this kind of problem? Kindly redirect me to any web material on how to solve this problem. Thanks

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

When you get to the prompt in the shell after choosing "Y" and entering the password, you will have to run fsck manually, so:

fsck /dev/hda6

or whatever other partitions you have as well to ensure all is OK.

Running "fsck /dev/hda6" at prompt i got this as reply:

"fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)

e2fsck 1.38 (30_jun-2005)

/dev/hda6: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read reading journal super block.

fsck.ext3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while checking ext3 journal for /dev/hda6"

Running "fsck /dev/hda8" at prompt i got this as reply:

"fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)

e2fsck 1.38 (30_jun-2005)

/dev/hda8 is mounted

WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause SEVERE filesystem damage.

Do you really want to continue?"

I typed "y" and press enter. Then I got this reply:

"/dev/hda8: clean, 143800/658624 files, 1204243/1315314 blocks"

Now I am still at the prompt. Are the above responds good?

I just tried Knoppix on my desktop PC. Hda6 cannot be mount. An error prompt window pop up.

" Could not mount device.

The reported error was:

mount wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hha6,

missing codepage or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so"

If you have a bad superblock problem:

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda6

Did you try googling bad superblock? That's how I got this command to help you try to fix the problem :)

Early today an officemate gave me a Knoppix cd with an O'reilly book tittled Knoppix Hacks. When /dev/hdb6 cannot be mount in the Knoppix Desktop I was drawn to try the command

"sudo gpart /dev/hdb6"

and then when it finishes

"sudo gpart -W /dev/hdb6 /dev/hdb6"

at the end of the gpart(guess partition) I had to choose 1 of 4 guess variety. I chose 3 and later I found all files viewable in knoppix.(Now I wish I had stop here but i didnt)

Having seen all my files being intact, I then exit Knoppix and switch my hdb from slave to master and try booting from it. When the machine does boot into Linux I then(confident all my files are intact on now hda6) installed Mandriva2006-Ultimate Linux Desktop to replace the free version on hda8.

Now I can use the hd to boot into Linux and to my shock my /home folder is empty just like a fresh install. I'm sure I formated hda8 to install the Ultimate Linux Desktop but not hda6 where all my data file are kept.

While typing this reply I am again trying what I did using Knoppix and wishing for the best. Thanks.

Your partition names/numbering has changed due to your changing of hdb, so I guess your data is still there. If your original /dev/hdb6 partition is validated now, try finding your data on a partition on hda (presumed you set it primary master now).

HTH,

scoonma

Could be a permissions problem maybe. You'd have to check this from the command prompt, or even reset it with:

chown -R username:username /home/username

and see if that helps. Although I have a feeling you may have done something bad when you used gparted.