9.1, multimedia kernel, and nvidia drivers

i installed the texstar multimedia kernel a la this thread

that went fine. but then i attempted to install the nvidia drivers. first i used the most recent ncurses based install, which failed. so i thought i'd drop back one and try to build from the 4191 src RPMs. i rebuilt them without an error, but upon install i received the following error message:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk/kernel/drivers/

video/nvidia.o

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol

irq_stat_R3fd15214

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o:

Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license

and it has unresolved symbols.  The module may be trying to access

GPLONLY symbols but the problem is more likely to be a coding or

user error.  Contact the module supplier for assistance, only they

can help you.

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o fa

iled

modprobe: insmod nvidia failed

Failed to install nvidia.o

error: execution of %post scriptlet from NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191 failed, exit sta

tus 1

anyone have any ideas?

yeah, i installed the source (that was my first guess at the issue-it occured before i installed the sources too). by this i mean, of course, the kernel-sources RPM for the mm kernel.

i even tried passing the directory holding the header files to the new nvidia installer program, same problem. i'll fiddle around, see if i can figure it out. for now i'm using the nv driver, which actually didn't work in 9.0 and with the original 9.1 kernel.

yeah, got it from texstar. should i maybe try removing the rpms for the old kernel? think that might be interfering?

and yes, /usr/src/linux is linked to the correct directory.

linux -> linux-2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk/

I feel rather stupid now. I uninstalled this kernel, then reinstalled, and when I was reinstalling I noticed that when rebuilding the src.rpm a kernel-source RPM was created along with the regular kernel RPM. After installing THAT kernel-source file (instead of the one that I had downloaded-obviously not built w/the flags I build my kernel with) everything went smoothly.

Now to bang my head on my desk for not thinking of this earlier. Ah well, live and learn, right?