3d effect problem - help

Guest amiy

Guest amiy

i have a nvidia 6600 gt, but still 3d effects are disabled and i cant enable themon my mandriva free 2007, i want to enable it, please help.

Have you installed the Nvidia drivers? In order to make use of direct rendering you must first install and enable proprietary drivers from Nvidia. There are instructions all over the Internet for doing so, including many posts on this board, which can be found via our search function.

Remember when posting here to give us as much information as you can, as this helps us to more easily and rapidly respond to your question - so how did you try and enable your rendering? What error messages / other symptoms are you encountering? What version of the driver are you using? etc...

Guest amiy

hello,

actually i had quite a bit of a problem installing the drivers, i found most of the methods very confusing, like using the console, etc........

is there no way to install like you do in windows, or by using a installtion gui?

i am using the mandriva 2007 free

my system config. is

intel pentium 4 3ghz

intel 915gav motherboard

nvidia 6600gt

seagate 80 gb pata hdd

1 gb ddr 333 ram

please help.

Go to ur MCC and go to the "Install new packages" link, there first search for kernel-souce. If its not installed, install it. Now download the latest Nvidia Linux drivers from the nvidia site,which would be a .run file. Now restart ur system, go to the command mode(safe mode). Then type the following command

telinit 3

Now, logon, go to the super user mode, then type the command

sh NVIDIA-1.0-9755........run

This would compile and install the drivers for you. After installation,restart your machine and you should be good to enable the 3D desktop effects.

Unfortunatly, this is Linux and its not as user-friendly as Windows, with GUI installations. You have to go through all this pain

Edited by Srikar