How do you make Mandriva look better?

Guest isitwindy

Guest isitwindy

I installed Mandriva spring 2007 dvd on my laptop and everything seems to work ok. I am new to Linux. Is there any way to get the fonts to look better and the start menu etc to look cleaner and crisper? I installed the Microsoft fonts on it and it didn't seem to do much. I have tried other distros such as PCLINUXOS and they generally look better, but still I think they need work. I know this may be a small issue, but if you work in front of this for long periods of time my eyes get tired. I am using kde desktop. I noticed that under Gnome things are cleaner and crisper looking.

This is one area I believe the Linux community needs to work on if they want the mass public to accept Linux. My wife has a hard time accepting Linux because she says " it looks ugly".

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Guest isitwindy

Yes i know about console and getting root privilages, but after that it gets iffy with me. I am not good at typing in the commands.

once you've got the mirrors (step 3 I think) just copy & paste each one into the terminal then hit the enter key

example:

urpmi.addmedia --update plf-free ftp://mandriva.cointech.net/pub/plf/mandriva/2007.1/free/release/binary/i586/ with hdlist.cz

followed by enter then copy the next one etc... HTH