Replacing Windows Vista With Mandriva

RevJack

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I upgraded my Windows XP to Windows Vista, and find that I do not like it, and want to replace it. I've heard that Vista uses a new version of NTFS, and I was wanting to know if Mandriva 2007.1 will be able to format the hard drive and install, hence replacing Windows Vista? Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe you're thinking of the WinFS file system which was supposed to be used by Vista instead of NTFS, but then it got postponed for some future release instead. I was under the impression Vista used NTFS. In which case Mandriva should be able to read it fine (although I've never tried). And of course, format it fine too! :D

Just to clarify; Vista was supposed to use a new filesystem, which was then cancelled. It uses plain NTFS now - which can be accessed from Linux. But if you're going for a complete replacement on the OS, Mandriva can format the drive to a 'better' filesystem such as ReiserFS or ext 3. Just remember to backup your files.

If you're planning to completely replace Vista with Mandriva, IE leave no trace of Windows, then just follow the options to format your drive. But this is not a migration - the installer will wipe out the Windows partition completely and replace it with a Linux FS.

If you're planning to completely replace Vista with Mandriva, IE leave no trace of Windows, then just follow the options to format your drive. But this is not a migration - the installer will wipe out the Windows partition completely and replace it with a Linux FS.

Yes, I'm planning on giving the entire hard drive to Mandriva.

Yes, I'm planning on giving the entire hard drive to Mandriva.

Nice :thumbs:

Then you can even just let Mandriva auto-partition the drive and tell it to format the entire thing, unless you want to set up the partitions yourself.

Just curious - did you buy Vista?

It's nice you could qualify for it and get it for free :thumbs:

At least that way, you find out that it doesn't do what you want it to without having to buy it first, and find you wasted a lot of money! I forget how long I've been Windows free for on practically all of my machines. But it don't half feel good! ;)