Why doesn't the installer list my country?

I downloaded the KDE 2007.1 One edition (the normal one, I didn't download the i8-something version as I don't need the extra language support now, I can always install it later, right?). I live in Egypt and I noticed that my country is not listed in the list. It's really silly, as choosing another country won't affect my installation in any way (I can always set the timezone to Cairo). But it's just "not cool". I want to be able to choose my country!

I noticed the same thing when I tried SAM 2007 (based on PCLOS 2007 which is based on Mandriva), so it seems that it's something in the installer. But I don't think that it has anything to do with localization. I live in Egypt and I speak Arabic but I use English for my computer, always. So, where is the problem and what's your suggestions?

And again I repeat: I know that this is a silly question!

No, it doesn't (I already said that, twice!). But it's irritating!

But I want to know why? Ubuntu's and openSUSE's installers listed my country. Mandriva 2007 One (GNOME) listed my country, so why won't Mandriva 2007.1 do it? And will downloading the extra languages KDE One CD help?

No, it doesn't (I already said that, twice!). But it's irritating!

But I want to know why? Ubuntu's and openSUSE's installers listed my country. Mandriva 2007 One (GNOME) listed my country, so why won't Mandriva 2007.1 do it? And will downloading the extra languages KDE One CD help?

Does it matter?

Its only relevant to setting timezone/currency etc. How many pestari per pound ... etc. granted Egypt is huge in terms of population so you'd think it would be worth it but wouldn't it be more frustrating if it took Egypt and then set everything to Arabic ?? including all the directory names...and defaulted to hindi numnbers instead of arabic ones?

It could be worse though... you could select North Africa and get everything in a mix of French, Arabic and Berber... with random regional dialets thrown in like toureg or Moroccan Arabic which is incomprehensible to almost everyone??? Imagie the confusion over currency with Egyptian Pestari and Libya Pestari .. the Libyan ones would be like millieme ... a thousand per pound... Think of the confusion if you lived in the only other African country with a bigger population with 9 official languages and hundreds of dialects...

Don't let it bother you really ... as a Wise man once said...(roughly translated)

Living Life Tomorrow's fate, though thou be wise, Thou canst not tell nor yet surmise; Pass, therefore, not today in vain, For it will never come again.

For 2007 they made a dozen live CDs. So there was at least one for every supported language. Now they made only two live CDs. One with Gnome and one with KDE. And they dropped most of the languages so mine isn't listed there too.

You only need the extra i18 CD if you install Mandriva to your hard drive and don't have a reliable and fast connection where you install it. But it won't fix the list for you.

My country (Greece) isn't listed in many distros as well (mainly liveCD's, where space economy is a premium)- but in 99% of them it's set by installing the necessary glibc locales ( locales-el in my case ). You could try doing the same by installing "locales-ar" (all arabic locales use the same regex) and see then if your country is listed.

Gowator: Thanks. You know, using Arabic on my PC is not bad at all. It's only I am not used to it, which is really a shame, considering its my mother tongue. And by the way, 1 Egyptian pound (LE, livre egyptienne, in French) has 100 piasters, not pestari (in what language is this?).

dexter11: Thanks you saved me from downloading the other live CD!

scarecrow: I will try to install the package you mentioned when I install Mandriva. But first I will have to download the Free edition because I hate the orange theme in the One edition and it seems to integrated in everything it will be a lot of trouble to change it to the beautiful blue one in Free.

Thanks a lot guys, you are very friendly here.

Gowator: Thanks. You know, using Arabic on my PC is not bad at all. It's only I am not used to it, which is really a shame, considering its my mother tongue. And by the way, 1 Egyptian pound (LE, livre egyptienne, in French) has 100 piasters, not pestari (in what language is this?).

Sorry got confused.... I remember the difference was 1000/dinar in libya but 100/pound in egypt... but that egypt also had millieme at 1/1000th of a pound... all very confusing :D

Language.;.. all latin.... with arabicisations thereof.... originally indicating a sheath of wheat...and tax on... one of the reasons for differences is it depending if the town was a colony or not since colonies paid less tax...

I dunno about you but I wouldn't like admining a system with /bin being renamed and transliterated into arabic .. I used to use WfW3.11 in arabic and this was a complete pain... because some directories had latin chars and others arabic... To be honest I haven't used linux in different alphabets.. but I can't imagine the directory structure being easy if its mixed alphabets and L->R and R->L....I had to use XP in a mixed fr - en environment and that really sucks...

/windows/system and /windows/systeme ?? not to mention my docs etc. all being repeated in both langs...?

Half of the apps had varying support... in one opr the other lang as well so notes I never could get the interface in english only part of it... and the spell checker wouldn't stop in french... (and about 200 little quirks)..

Honestly it can be complex enough... IMHO ...I'd leave the base directory install as it is instead of changing it... since you never know when something might randomly break....

another tip you might create yourself 2 users, one in arabic and one in english... and give each full permissions to the other's files... you can even run them simultaneously and use the switch user to exploit this...