Gaim is now pidgin

Reiver_Fluffi

Fri, May 4, 2007 - 07:04 pm

I'm very proud to announce Pidgin 2.0.0, the long-awaited release of the IM client formally known as Gaim. In addition to the new name, this release features extraordinary enhancements to features and functionality over the previous release. You can get it from the download page.

This release owes a special thanks to a bunch of people, but I especially want to acknowledge The Software Freedom Law Center, which has represented Pidgin in its negotiations with AOL and helped us form Instant Messaging Freedom Inc. They also represent a ton of other important free and open-source projects and are an excellent cause to donate to.

Now that our legal worries are behind us and the huge undertaking of 2.0.0 is complete, we're all looking forward to continuing to actively develop Pidgin, Finch, and libpurple, and returning to our regular release cycle.

Source: http://pidgin.im/pidgin/news/latest_news/gaim_is_now_pidgin/

I see that pidgin not available yet via urpmi.

Also, I know some people who use Windows who won't even give Linux a try because of things like video with instant messaging. It is not like this is a new capability. It has been around a good while.

I see that pidgin not available yet via urpmi.

Also, I know some people who use Windows who won't even give Linux a try because of things like video with instant messaging. It is not like this is a new capability. It has been around a good while.

pidgin isnt the only app. I've successfully used video and voice on kopete and mercury messenger. afaik, pidgin is the only one that doesnt out of the box, but does have experiemental support somewhere, probably in cvs.

James

linux skype doesnt do video.

...yet.

Weird, I thought it did video, but I was thinking of the OSX Beta. My bad. Anyway, it's only a matter of time before it does.

I wish someone would build a Pidgin-based IM for Pocket PC. All the unified IMs for Windows Mobile either suck or aren't free.

Cooker has moved to Pidgin.

I'm not sure we'd release it as a backport for 2007 Spring. It's a very disruptive change since they changed the name _everywhere_ - including in all the dbus methods and so on. So it breaks a lot of other apps that depend on using the gaim dbus calls, it breaks all the plugins, and so on. We're still sorting out the aftermath in Cooker. It's worth noting that 2007 Spring shipped with gaim 2.0 'beta 6', not gaim 1.5. 2.0 beta 6 is actually pretty close to pidgin. The only big difference I've noticed since pidgin hit Cooker is the new icon theme.

the gaim 2.0 'beta' releases were really all stable releases, they were just called beta releases due to the legal proceedings with AOL (AOL wouldn't let them release any 'final' versions while the legal proceedings were ongoing).

Edited by adamw