Guest Porfirio

Guest Porfirio

Hi everyone, i know theres tones of topics about the speedtouch modem

Even Mandriva 2007 have suport for it out of the box

But my ISP uses PPPoE/Bridging and Mandriva have no suport for it

As this list says http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouc.../index.html#q12

my isp specs are

.pt, Portugal Clix or Telepac PPPoE/Bridging 0 35

I tryed to use Mandriva control center to activate it but the modem just hangs and the startup takes loooooong time

I would like to know if someone can help me

I know that i shold get a router but i have no money for it :(

Thank you

are you sure that you need to be using PPPoE/bridging? Is your service provider Clix or Telepac ? if not your may well be able to use PPPoA.

The list on that page is hardly exhaustive, like it lists for Australia, just one, Telstra - PPPoE, but there are many other ISP's, mine for instance uses both PPPoE/PPPoA.

Also, even though I never had your exact modem, I had a Speedtouch USB, but as of the later releases of Mandriva, I found that actually following those installation guides, caused more trouble than they were worth. It was far easier just to set it up yourself with the help of the Mandriva wizard thing. All I required was a couple of files, the relevant info, VP/VC, and log in details. I have since been using a router for sometime, and therefore can't remember the details, but it was a relatively easy and quick process with 2007.

I was expexting the community to be more helpfull :(

Patience young padawan, if someone knows how to help you out, I'm sure they will, it's sometimes hard to help when you don't actually have the hardware in question yourself.

Edited by jagwah

Guest Porfirio
are you sure that you need to be using PPPoE/bridging? Is your service provider Clix or Telepac ? if not your may well be able to use PPPoA.

Unfortanly i am sure :(

The list on that page is hardly exhaustive, like it lists for Australia, just one, Telstra - PPPoE, but there are many other ISP's, mine for instance uses both PPPoE/PPPoA.

Also, even though I never had your exact modem, I had a Speedtouch USB, but as of the later releases of Mandriva, I found that actually following those installation guides, caused more trouble than they were worth. It was far easier just to set it up yourself with the help of the Mandriva wizard thing. All I required was a couple of files, the relevant info, VP/VC, and log in details. I have since been using a router for sometime, and therefore can't remember the details, but it was a relatively easy and quick process with 2007.

I tried both PPPoE and PPPoA on Mandriva control centrer, all i got was a huge increase of boot time so i disabled it

Then i folowed the tips on this page: http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/mandrake/index.html but still it didn't work

I have been able to get it to work before on (K)Ubuntu and Caixa Magica ( Portuguese Distro )

Patience young padawan, if someone knows how to help you out, I'm sure they will, it's sometimes hard to help when you don't actually have the hardware in question yourself.

Sorry i am not used to act like that :P

Guest Porfirio

Well looks like i am unlucky :P

Not only i have a bad Modem as my ISP uses the worse implementation of it

Time to quit from Mandriva, no internet, no linux... :(

See you later then :)

Just remember that such issues don't stem from Linux, but from hardware manufacturers who write drivers for Windows only...

Meanwhile, you may want to try and get familiar with Linux in a virtual machine on Windows (eg: qemu); the day you'll have hardware that works ok with Linux, you'll be full ready ;)

Yves.

Guest Porfirio

I know the problem is not from Linux, its from the Hardware creators

Oh and also i have used allot VMWare

I have runed on it lots of distros on VMWare altought latly i have been using VirtualBox

Linux have a hard road to ride

Hardware is the worst problem of Linux, it would be good if hardware creators could think more in Linux

I hope the rumour that Ati will open source the drivers became true, it would be a big step for linux

Also hardware is not only my problem, i own a shop and the only pc i have is this one, and the software used isnt compatible with linux

In the future when i get a personal pc i may then go to linux