When did Mandrake become Mandrivia?

ncb

So I haven't been on this board for a while and I'm wondering what is Mandrivia and what happened to Mandrake? The last time I had anything to do with Mandrake, 10.0 I think was out.

Welcome back ncb :)

Mandriva was still Mandrake up to version 10.1 IIRC.

Then Mandrake 10.2 came under the name "Mandriva 2005 LE" and it's been Mandriva ever since (and will remain so). Since this release also, numbering is done after the year (the next year actually).

Yves.

The name was wholly (or at least partially) the result of Mandrake purchasing Conectiva, IIRC.

and being far too easy to confuse with a cartoon magician... well come on comic book/operating system their virtually identical aren't they?

I know, 'sarcasm is the lowest form of wit'...

Leo

That cartoon magician is why they had to change the name, hence the law suit! Bit pathetic really, but I think the star and the magic wand might have had something to do with it!

In case anyone's confused by this - the issue being referred to is a lawsuit between MandrakeSoft (as was) and Hearst, a U.S. publishing corporation who own the rights to a comic strip named Mandrake the Magician which is syndicated in various U.S. newspapers. They sued on the basis that Mandrake Linux was somehow trading on the back of their comic strip, on the basis of the name and the very old version of the Mandrake logo that featured a magic wand. They won. We decided to change the name of the company rather than waste more money appealing the decision, and used the Conectiva merger as the basis for the name change. There was an internal vote on names based on the combination of Mandrake and Conectiva, and Mandriva won.