KDE window moving problem [solved]

diehl

I run Mandriva 2007.1 (though I had this same problem/feature in 2007.0). When I move a window in KDE it gets sent behind all other windows so it becomes completely/partially hidden after moving (also during moving) - a most annoying feature. How do turn off/configure this? There is an extensive panel in Kcontrol->Desktop->Window Behavior but none of these controls seem to control this behavior.

I have 2 other Mandriva boxes which do not have this behavior and I am puzzled how this feature became activated on one box. This same box has another feature I have not seen before - a little button on the top left corner of the window bar, which if pressed causes the window to appear on all desktops. I don't mind this feature, though I'd disable it if I could since I don't personally find it useful, but I cannot figure out how to turn it off.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

If you rightclick the upper left window corner you get options to keep the window on top, or on bottom, as well as numerouws other settings- probably more than you will ever need. You can also set the defaults from there to your likings.

Edited by scarecrow

Thank you for the info. I had gotten to the same menu through kcontrol. Unfortunately, I do not see any options in that menu which seem to relate to pushing a window to the back while moving. I had the bright idea to reset all options to the defaults, but this still had no effect on this annoying behavior. So, I am still baffled about why I have this behavior, and have no idea how to change it.

...After more playing around I think I have figured out the pattern. It seems that clicking on the window title bar toogles the window to the front/back (back => window is put behind the others). So if the window is on top and I move it the window will be put to the back while moving. If the window is partly hidden the it toggles to the front and stays in the front while moving.

Eventually, I noticed that the KDE window behavior->Actions->Title bar and frame allows you top set the action of the mouse buttons on title bar. Indeed my left mouse button was set to toggle raise/lower which I changed to "raise" and "activate & raise" which fixed my problem.

Edited by diehl