Problem with Google-Earth in 2007 Spring

jbuckley2004

I had Google-Earth installed and working with Mandriva 2006 Free. When I updated to Spring 2007 One, I kept the home partition, where G-E had been installed, and otherwise did a complete install. I noticed that the Google-Earth app is now supplied with the distribution.

That's cool, but now when I tried to run it, I get the error/warning that reads "Google Earth is unable to identify your graphics card. This is most likely because the driver for your graphics card has not been installed..." The link given by G-E only states that the latest driver should be installed.

Hum! The MCC correctly identifies my card (Nvidia 5200 FX), and the latest driver *was* installed. In fact, I'm running Matisse nicely right now, thank you very much.

I've already un-installed and re-installed both G-E and the nvidia driver to no effect (the same message comes up).

Can anyone tell me how to proceed? Perhaps there's a G-E configuration somewhere that needs updating?

Thanks in advance for any info.

More -

I just notices that when I start it from the command line, I get the message "Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":1.0"." about a million times.

Edited by jbuckley2004

Inside my /home/<user>/.googleearth directory, I found a lock file of symbolic link type though googleearth wasn't running any more. Probably the app is not cleaning up resources correctly after exiting. In your stead I'd remove the .googlearth directory completely, do a re-install (and optionally insert myplaces.kml and files of the same type manually; in that case a backup would be necessary before).

Inside my /home/<user>/.googleearth directory, I found a lock file of symbolic link type though googleearth wasn't running any more.

Thanks for this, Scoonma. I looked, and found the same locked symbolic link. I removed the .googleearth directory and re-installed (oh - noticed that the .googleearth directory doesn't appear until after I run at least once), but the same thing came up - it doesn't know that the graphics card is known.

What do you get running glxgears?

The "nvidia" driver is installed, OK, but it might not be properly configured.

Whoa! That was a great idea, scarecrow. When I run glxgears I get something like the error I noticed running google-earth:

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":1.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet, but I think you're right. The nvidia driver isn't properly configured.

I'll be exploring this, but if you have any further suggestions for me to try, I'd be appreciative.

More -

Ok, that was weird. II first tried to see what I could futz with in the NVIDIA Server Settings (available from the list of systems applications), and nothing seemed to be relevant. Then I went into the MCC, hardware and the X graphical server. I poked around, but changed nothing, then hit the "test" button. The display showed me that it was fine, and I hit ok before the 15 second timer expired. But the driver didn't recover. I just a colorful but random display of nothing. On reboot, it failed to start x, so I tried manually, and it told me the driver was not found.

The driver was still on my drive, however, so I logged in as root and re-installed it successfully, and I was able to come up normally.

But I'm back to where I was, with google-earth and glxgears telling me that the Xlib is missing the extension GLX on display ":1.0".

Next trick - I'm going to turn off Matisse and see what happens.

Edited by jbuckley2004

I turned of Matisse, and now it works as advertised. Glxgears is now showing me just under 1200 FPS.

So I guess there's something in the interaction with Matisse that's the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

I turned of Matisse, and now it works as advertised. Glxgears is now showing me just under 1200 FPS.

So I guess there's something in the interaction with Matisse that's the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

I haven't tested G-E in Mandrivea (yet), but I, too, tested with Matisse and noticed that I couldn't get 3D acceleration (GL not working properly) to work with my NVidia card (see my sig).

I turned Matisse on and got Glxgears (also "gears" work fine) to operate normally.

I would also like to know if this is an NVidia specific problem or does it occur with other chipmakers' boards. Also if there is a remedy for that.

I turned Matisse on and got Glxgears (also "gears" work fine) to operate normally.

Dude, I'm curious. Please let me know what you did to get GLXgears working with Matisse. It just aborts for me.

I'm pretty sure that OpenGL wasn't working for me when running Matisse. I'm pretty ignorant about OpenGL, so I think I'll take some time to study-up on it before screaming that there really is a problem beyond simple configuration here.

But at least we have a work-around!

Dude, I'm curious. Please let me know what you did to get GLXgears working with Matisse. It just aborts for me.

I'm pretty sure that OpenGL wasn't working for me when running Matisse. I'm pretty ignorant about OpenGL, so I think I'll take some time to study-up on it before screaming that there really is a problem beyond simple configuration here.

I think its just a problem with closed source drivers and anything NEW in linxux, matisse being an example...

I doubt nvidia is worse than ati or visa versa... I know for instance at the moment there is a problem in debian unstable for Xorg for ATI owners but it could just as easily be any closed source driver... since it forces the suck n see approach....

Well, any unhappy ATi owner can switch from the proprietary driver to the opensource one without losing much, performance-wise.

But with modern nvidia cards the difference between "nvidia" and "nv" is simply huge, when coming to 3D acceleration...

Whoa! That was a great idea, scarecrow. When I run glxgears I get something like the error I noticed running google-earth:

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":1.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

This error message would normally indicate you have no 3D acceleration running at all. For beryl and compiz (or xgl) hardware accel it is a prerequisite, so it's quite astonishing that metisse would run at all (beryl or compiz would not). OTOH, it is possible to get googleearth working without acceleration (yet slower than your hardware is capable to do).

Regarding metisse, I've just tried it out for a short glance. As it's basically an enhanced fvwm, I could imagine it running without 3D accel, which would explain the initial error (like googleearth relying on 3D functions from metisse not active at that moment).

:oops: Sorry, typo! :embarassed:

I meant: I turned Matisse OFF and got Glxgears (also "gears" work fine) to operate normally (again).

I just meant I have exactly the same problems as you do... Even though I don't get these error messages as you do.

I'm certain that I have 3D configured right as I've been playing Doom3 and Quake4 on this 2007 Spring Mandriva. Still I'm unable to get GL working under Metisse.

Ah! Now it starts to make sense. Thanks for the correction, Dude.

I'm still pleading ignorance, but I think we've learned that Matisse and OpenGL do not play well together, at least, when using the NVIDIA drivers. For the record, I did not have this problem when I last used Beryl with the same driver under 2007.0 Free. OpenGL (and Google Earth) worked fine.

And to Gowator and Scarecrow, I think you're quite right in your analyses.

About 1200 FPS with FX 5200 is slightly below normal (I was getting around 1450 with the same card), but the difference is acceptable.

Scarecrow, this is perhaps a bit o/t, but could you tell me (or directly me please, to sources that explain) what tunable parameters affect this number? I'm not a gamer, so I don't demand all that much out of my equipment. But I would like to find out inexpensive (read, free) ways to get the most out of what I've got. Thanks

About 1200 FPS with FX 5200 is slightly below normal (I was getting around 1450 with the same card), but the difference is acceptable.

Scarecrow, what did you do to get this high FPS? I also have an FX5200, run the '9755' driver and have verified that 3D acceleration is actually running (glxinfo | grep ren shows Direct Rendering = yes), but all I get is ~250 FPS (in window) or ~110 FPS (maximised window). Not an issue is I have very little that requires fast 3D, but still curious.