Gentoo $PATH problem [solved]

If you still have it, try it again, so we can see what error you got. I might even try this on my gentoo system at work. Whilst I've not got the belkin, I can at least see and get it working for you in terms of software.

Ok, I had responded to this and my post disappeared! I couldn't find the actual download for that version. I found the Belkin page where it says it's available but not a place to download. I think I remember trying one of them that had an install script and got an error message but I could be wrong. But I'm still working with the NUT developer and we're making progress so I really hope I won't need it. And forget about calling Belkin. I did and they said nobody knows anything about linux! :wall:

Thanks for the offer ian! :thumbs:

What did you have to do to get it working with the nut developer? I'd be interested in case I come across this trying to get it working for my father!

Well the problem is that my UPS is so new that none of the UPS monitoring programs for linux have drivers which is why I couldn't get it to work. I was using the belkinunv driver which was supposed to be for belkin. Fortunately this guy new Gentoo very well. He had me download files in a manner via clii that I've never even seen before (I use wget) and it downloaded a folder called trunk. Inside were files that had to be compiled together to make a driver. So he had me get my nut tar.gz from /usr/portage/distfiles and move it to home. Then I had to untar it, add those two files to the drivers folder and retar it. The we had to do a user portage_overlay which you may be familiary with, I was, but I'd never had to do one before. So then I moved the nut tar into the new directory I'd created and emerge it. The UPS recognized the drivers and it started working. Except nutmon which is the monitorying device. I kept getting weird error messages in my syslog that didn't make sense so it would shut itself down. He'd never heard of it before but he told me we'd figure it out or he would go to the rest of the nut development team to find an answer. Eventually through trial and error we found out the problem. Restarted upsmon and now it's just working. This morning he sent me a long email with lists of all kinds of things telling me how to use it. He is so nice and he went so much out of his way. I'd never have gotten it to work without him. Trust me!

Hopefully mine will be straightforward and not have any of these problems. Else I'll need all the step-by-step instructions from you!! :)