Lost Mirror

AussieJohn

Has anyone got any information about anorien the UK website ???.

It it no longer going to mirror Mandriva or is it just having problems ???.

Cheers. John.

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Neddie, I too would like to know why they dropped Mandriva. The reason could be very important to us all.

Thanks Adam for giving us the info thus far.

Cheers. John.

I'd like to know too. It was the mirror I always used, the best one near me, usually a fast connection. The only one with mandriva AND plf mirrors afaik. Interesting that the other distro mirrors are still there. I wonder if it's something to do with patents? Perhaps someone more knowledgable can shed some light on that?

Although good came out of it for me, (I discovered my ISP has an up to date Mandriva mirror, which I can access at full speed, 800+KB/sec, and it doesn't count toward my quota) it is still not a good thing. I only started using the Anorien mirror recently, after seeing AusieJohn mention how it was good and reliable. When I seen that the mirror was unreachable, then seeing that there was no longer a Mandriva section on the site, I had a feeling that they had stopped support, and also have a suspicion as to why, which I hope isn't true, and it may well be just my unchecked imagination. Anyway, it's gone.

One good thing (there are many actually) I found on my time with kubuntu, is that the *buntu's have a very good mirror system, I'm not sure whether they actually own the mirrors in the different countries (I have a suspicion they do, but I don't really know), but they always seemed to work good and fast, it all felt so professional. The way the whole system was set, from the software manager to the mirrors always felt very solid.

It would be good if Mandriva owned it's own mirrors, or at least had good fast mirrors around the world, that they had control over. I know it would probably be very costly etc, but it would be so much better than having to rely on others who can just pull the plug at any time. Any way, we still have mirrors available, thats something to be thankful for.

I was always using the NTUA mirror (Greek National Polytechnical University) which is smoking fast (at least for me), but that one was trimmed down as well, and currently hosts only the official 2007.0 and 2007.1 releases.

Edited by scarecrow

thac and plf are arguably much smaller than a full mandriva mirror, though.

tyme... that's what I'm thinking ... but its obviously just speculation...

Mandriva have so many concurrent versions and arguably no real stable one... (i.e. some people aren't happy with 2007 or 2007.1 so they have to mirror a LOT....like which one to mirror?

Would they mirror Mandriva move? etc.

I dunno if it was my space I'm giving away I'd lean towards free as in beer distro's....? Buit they mirroir Suse and OpenSuse so I doubt its that???

It could simply be that each year they vote and this year nonone voted for mandriva? or the guy who originally mirrored it has left and someone noticed they were mirroring GB???

Or it could be the whole lot? who knows the amount og GB needed and the number of votes to carry it???

Anorien has departed but I have noticed tonight that there are now twice as many French mirrors and an increase of 50% in USA mirrors since 2 days ago.

I haven't looked through the others much though.

Looks like the anorien maintainer is the one out of step regarding Mandriva popularity. :D :D

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Anorien has departed but I have noticed tonight that there are now twice as many French mirrors and an increase of 50% in USA mirrors since 2 days ago.

I haven't looked through the others much though.

Looks like the anorien maintainer is the on out of step regarding Mandriva popularity. :D :D

Cheers. John.

John, I don't see any links between the two... its a university... the allow public mirror as a courtousy but if the people at the university aren't using it then they have no reason to mirror it in favor of something else...

If you take numbers of mirrors as a metric Mandriva is probably well below Debian.or Gentoo...?

In the same way my ISP has also removed most of mandriva.(significantly slimmed) . something I'm glad of because it reduces bandwidth use and frankly there are many better distro's deserve the space more... (Since Mandriva is commerical they are somewhat less deserving IMHO)

Frankly there is nothing wrong with Mandriva.... but just because its the 1st you stumbled across and the first I got a special fuzzy feeling for etc. doesn't mean its popular or any better???

I got a Nikon for my 21st.... I still use Nikon and always have but .... if by random chance I had been given a Leica... (and it was totally random.. my father's friend bought a FG for his daughter in Singapore and she could't work it out so my Dad bought it off him for my 21st)

I'll always love my Nikons :D but it doesn't mean they are the best at everything or the best camera for everyone...just what I stumbled into... hey I like Mandriva.. its was the first distro really worked for me back in 199something.... but I also realise its not the best for everyone :D

Looks like the anorien maintainer is the on out of step regarding Mandriva.

John, the issue was the use of Mandriva within Warwick university, not the general population. Warwick, like other universities in the UK, will be hooked up to JANet, which is a very expensive network. Sorry, but given that Universities are, by and large, public property, it is in the taxpayers interest that we universities are using the funding for their core activities, rather than supporting a French commercial entity who could damn well afford to pay for the server themselves! The priority of our academic institutions is the education of our students and research, not to support any random linux distribution that bears little or no relationship to that education/research.