HowTo: Athlon/Duron Power Saving Mode (TRY IT!)

MottS

I've been able to decrease my cpu temp by about 15 degrees (reading from gkrellm-lm_sensors -> from 46 to 31) with the help of the following tutorial.

http://cip.uni-trier.de/nofftz/linux/Athlo...ving-HOWTO.html

I have a Duron 1300 (basically an Athlon XP with less cache) on an AMD760/AMD761 chipset. The only thing that I did is to run as root:

setpci -s 0:0.0 0x62=0xb7

and the temps started to go down.. !!!!!!!!!!

There is fix like that for KT133/133a and KT133, KT266/266a, MSI K7T266Pro (MS-6380) (KT266) and KT333, AMD760/AMD761, KT400 and sis730 based Motherboards.

Go there, try it and have fun!

MOttS

Motts: I saw this info on the PCLINUXONLINE and tried it but not getting it to work so far.

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?n...order=0&thold=0 ://http://www.pclinuxonline.com/module...rder=0&thold=0 ://http://www.pclinuxonline.com/module...rder=0&thold=0

I added the acpid via Install Software Manager and everything seemed to go well but acpid won't start even when set up in init.d script.

Here's info posted to pclinux earlier:

I am running ML 9.0 and Abit KR7A-133 (non-RAID). I checked and acpid was not installed so I installed it and tried the cmd line entries for KT266a and had no response.

Looks like acpid is not running as a service. Wonder if BIOS settings could be causing this not to run. On Gentoo list someone running my mobo got it working with cmd line only so I think it should go, but no joy here.  

Tried to start acpid in MCC and got error:

Starting acpi daemon: acpid: can't open /proc/acpi [Failed}  

Anyone have an idea? TIA!

I got the link from pclinuxonline..

You have to disable APM (Advanced Power Management) for ACPI to work because those two programs try to do the same thing (save power) so whatever programs that is loaded first win. The other one will not be loaded. So if you load APM and then try to load ACPI by a init script, the latest will be droped. However, when I compiled my kernel I didn't compile ACPI support and the command works #1 on my computer. So I would not trust the website so much. It worth to try to disable APM though. Try via the MCC and check your setting in your BIOS!

HTH

MOttS

Motts: Thanks for your help! I will try some things in the am. Today is my wife's birthday and I better shutdown before I dig a bigger hole for myself. Know what I mean?

I don't have APM enabled, but it was before I shut it down a few weeks ago. I tried the scripts and they didn't work either before I added acpid or after. I looked into my BIOS settings, but it is pretty confusing and I need to go back and reread the manual for the MOBO to make sense of them. Three or four settings seem to interact between the PCI bus and acpid settings.

I'll keep you posted.

a bit of a warning, unless you're absolutely positive you have one of the mentioned chipsets, don't try this! i thought i did, typed in the command, hit enter, and CLUNK system locked up. ah well, next time i'll double check and make sure i have the chipset i thought i had :-)

a bit of a warning, unless you're absolutely positive you have one of the mentioned chipsets, don't try this!  i thought i did, typed in the command, hit enter, and CLUNK system locked up.  ah well, next time i'll double check and make sure i have the chipset i thought i had :-)

:shock: You have the exact same mobo as i do. dare i try :twisted: dare i be adventurous :roll: yeah, i dare :twisted:

a bit of a warning, unless you're absolutely positive you have one of the mentioned chipsets, don't try this!  i thought i did, typed in the command, hit enter, and CLUNK system locked up.  ah well, next time i'll double check and make sure i have the chipset i thought i had :-)

:shock: You have the exact same mobo as i do. dare i try :twisted: dare i be adventurous :roll: yeah, i dare :twisted:

I bet the 3 Mandrake 9.1 isos that it's going to lock your computer up.. :lol: ... and I want some proofs .. well, how could you provide proofs? Anyway, here is mine:

http://gd.no-ip.com/MDKLinux/ScreenShots/vmware.jpeg

:lol: :lol:

MOTtS

:lol: i miss that blue bastard. good ol' bsod.

Well i owe you 3 mdk isos you were right :)having said that my next mobo will be via via. No more of this cheap (insert approriate expletive here)

and are you stalking me? you seem to pop up right after i post :twisted:

i saw a thread, got it from the pclo version of this tut, on the gentoo forums and someone with a k7s5a was messing around and thought they had something. i tried the values but i didn't notice any dramatic temp drop but i did get the annoying noise problem when playing music.

Well i owe you 3 mdk isos you were right :)

You can keep the isos... I already have them. But put them on your site .. :lol: :lol:

and are you stalking me, you seem to pop up right after i post  :twisted:

I track you buddy.. I don't wanna be XYZ once again so I check all your movements .. we never know :!: .. kidding

i tried the values but i didn't notice any dramatic temp drop but i did get the annoying noise problem when playing music.

I guess I'M REALLY LUCKY, I got a huge decrease in cpu temp and I have no problem at all with sound. Weird.

MOttS

well cd 3 wins by popular demand. actually since i voted for it once, not really :)

Anyway back to cooling. I tried the hint for this sis 735 found here http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=6...0922689824667db

and just like last time sounds messed up and my mouse takes an immediate responsivity hit (doesn't move as smoothly as before). But my temp did go down by a whole degree celsius

I guess I'M REALLY LUCKY, I got a huge decrease in cpu temp and I have no problem at all with sound. Weird. 

MOttS

Well a lot of other people have had success if the mobo is listed and the sound is some which happens to older athlon cpus not athlon xp's. You more lucky your mobo is listed and you not using < athlon xp cpu

oh yeah i forgot to mention, the sound gets better as cpu usage gets higher. for anyone feeling lucky or looking for a good tyme :twisted: these are the commands

setpci -s 0:0.0 6A=0x19

enable weirdness

setpci -s 0:0.0 6A=0x18

disable weirdness

doin some brainstorming and came up with an ad hoc solution to my sound problems. Since it gets better with cpu usage i decided to use more cpu power so i compiled slicker with

make && make && make

and it work. Sound came back to normal! it is rather counterproductive as since you're making the cpu work harder it's going to raise the temp :) ok back to thinking up a better fix ...